Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: sport seat restoration

Howard Yefsky

Sport seat restoration

S OTERIK here in illinois. Just acquied a set of original Recaro sport seats for my '72. Upholstery in great comdition only needing some clean-up. The hinges and frames needed painting. Was sucessful in removing 7 of the 8 screws in the hinges. After a week of trying everything, finally had to drill thetop and remove with an easy-out. Even then, we needed a pipe wrench attached to the easy-out to remove. The hinges may have been painted once several years ago. The screws are phillips head. Should they be slotted or phillips. Anyone have the correct screws that I could purchase or know where I can find them?
    Thanks
    howrad Yefsky

soterik

sport seat restoration

Howard,

The screws are phillips head, and still available from the dealer.

Part # 911-521-126-00

regards,
    soterik

thback

sport seat restoration

I'm in the middle of taking the Recaro sport seats apart. How do you powder coat the "chassis" of the seat. I don't mean the frame, but the foldable rack (to collapse the seat forward when the midgets want to get out of the car). The rack is actually very hard to take apart, only the slider rails can be taken of.

Anyone can tell me how this is done? Put the whole rack including hinges in the oven?

Tom

david w
    Just curious, I have a set of sport seats in my 71. There are three adjusting bolts for the height on the front and rear of the seat frames. Where do most of you have them set?

thback

sport seats

Right in the middle (as always...).
    T.

david w
    as always? Is this the way they are supposed to be?

CBOYER56
    I have just completed Recaro seat restoration for the third time in two years so I call myself and expert (former drip).

Powder coat the whole lot, haven't had any hinges bind yet and the small coil springs that control the tilting of the whole seat at the rear have survived OK.

I find the hardest part getting the spring back into place for the side controlling mechanism. I find that a textured powder coating gives very close to the splatter look of the original with much more durability for these two pieces.

I have always set the front bolts at the lowest level to allow for slightly more leg room with the original steering wheel but the back ones in the middle as suggested.

Clyde

tommy911t

: sport seat restoration

Hey dudes, just thought i'd let you know that it is possible.
    I have just finished the week long restoration of my sport seats. i was recieving many estimates for well over $800 so i decided to give it a shot. I searched upholstry shops and found a great domestic vinyl for $12 a yard. it is a perfect match. I used 2.5 yards. i bought a semi gloss black for the frrame and they look great. of course i may just be looking at them with rose colored glasses and $750 + still in my pocket, but believe me, anyone can do it.
    oh yeah...
    i found a stamp that was dated on the bottom of my paddingsthat has the date march 15, 1973. also there are employee numbers. i kept those pieces in perfect shape and then used them again.it is cool to see these great reminders of how old and authentic these great cars are
    thanks for the tips and emails -tommy-

#TBT on an old sport seat thread. My have times changed.
    Mark Erbesfield
    2018 911 Carrera T 7spd manual 😊
    1973 911S #9113301282
    1957 356A #58648
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ45LV
    1982 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1977 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
    1972 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 FST (Factory Soft Top)
    1971 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 “Patina Queen”
    1979 MB 450SL "Dad's old car"
    2019 Cayenne "Wife's car"

Sure has, even shows Chuck as a "Guest".....