Thread: comments/opinion?

roger911s

comments/opinion?

Just walked away from a 911S in NYC-area when the seller got squirrely on me for wanting to get a PPI from a "guru" other than his (who I can't find any independent comments about). He's got a highly modified 67S engine (10.5:1, MSD ingition, etc.) in a rough but mostly rust-free 77S Coupe shell. (Don't ask why, I never got a straight story about the transplant.) The car seems 'okay' but has oil weep seller says is from a "leaking oil return tube or loose nut on cover" and is not firing on #1. Now I learn it had a tensioner failure that was just fixed (non-carerra tensioners used) and all rocker arms sheared off but there was no damage to valves. I suppose it's possible, though I'm not sure how likely. No leakdown/compression was performed after tensioner/ramp installation. The shared experience and wisdom of this board will be appreciated, as I have no experience with these early (sand cast aluminum case) engines.

gwalk

67S

I would be curious to know how much per pound junk goes for these days? In a case like this there is no way to know what you are buying. A rough 77 shell and a questionable engine that could cost $3000 to $5000 or more to repair is no bargain at any price. Your looking at a car worth parts! $1500 maybe. You did the right thing walking away.

roger911s

67S

How much? The guy was offering to trade it for a motorcycle I'm forced to sell because of a back injury. The bike is an immaculate, responsibly modified, better-than-new, show-winning 1984 Laverda RGS, one of the last of the Breganze Triples.