Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steering wheels

david w
    I found a NOS 380 mm steering wheel from someone in Indiana. I purchased two leather wheelskin kits and laced them myself. It came out great and has a nice fat grip. The only problem is that the wheel is closer to the dash than I would like( about 2 inches.)
    Does anyone know of a spacer or hub that will move the wheel closer to me?
    Thanks

GeorgeK

RS Wheel

Hi David,
    Yes you can put a spacer. Not easy, but I have done it.
    The splined part is riveted to the wheel itself. You drill out the rivets, find a mechanic workshop to turn you a spacer, then re-rivet the splined hub to the wheel with the spacer. Works OK if you repaint the spacer in semi-gloss black.
    GeorgeK

david w
    Thanks GeorgeK. How large of a spacer did you install? How thick?

GeorgeK

RS wheel

Hi David,
    The spacer is about 1 inch (2.5 cm). It makes a big difference for me, but it
    will depend on your build. Basically if you drive spiritedly, there is no thing as
    too close, as long as you don't risk hitting your chest in a crash (the spacer built that way will NOT collapse). Aesthetically, 1 inch is OK, hardly noticeable.
    GeorgeK

david w
    Thanks George K
    I will let you know how I make out.

Similar Threads

1. 914 steering wheels
    By mepstein in forum General Info
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-15-2013, 04:40 AM
  2. Steering wheels
    By denson in forum Technical Info
    Replies: 4