Thread: 68 911L smog pump

t150r

68 911L smog pump

Does anyone know the correct procedure for removing the smog pump. IE: hotter or colder plugs, timing etc, etc. Thanks

911SRegistry
    To borrow the standard repair procedures from the old Motor Manual DIY books:

1. Open hood
    2. Remove smog pump
    3. Reverse the above procedure

:-)

Not having done this personally, I would suspect you would remove, in addition to the pump, mounting bracket and belt, the attached hoses and tubing, then plug the air inlets on the exhaust manifold. If different, I'd suggest using spark plugs with a heat range for a non-pump engine with carbs (e.g. NGK BP-7ES). To be really thorough, connect an exhaust analyzer and chart the air/fuel mixture throughout the rpm range (preferably under load), then rejet as necessary.

911L
    My car had the pump removed before I got it. All the brackets were gone, the injector things in the heads were welded shut, and the chain cover had a steel patch over the hole, and the drive end of the cam had been removed, it looked like it was broken off. Later I removed the cam and cut the rest of the stub off and replaced the cover with a standard one. I run plugs one hotter than what is spedified by NGK. I think I need the hotter plug because my engine is old and I'm getting some blow-by and I'm running a little rich. I run stock timeing.

Joe
    911L

Similar Threads

1. FS: "Rare" 1968 Porsche 911L 911 L Smog Pump
    By trunos73rs in forum For Sale: 911 Parts
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-25-2013, 06:44 AM
  2. Cam nut removal on a 68 smog pump engine. How to?
    By preS in forum Technical Info
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 12-24-2010, 07:17 PM
  3. Should I Install a Smog Pump on my '68?
    By mshaver51 in forum Technical Info
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-09-2010, 07:03 PM
  4. 68 Smog Pump?
    By gsjohnson in forum Technical Info
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-09-2010, 09:43 AM
  5. WTB Fuel pump bracket and smog valve part
    By JT912 in forum For Sale: 911 Parts
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-19-2008, 02:20 PM