Hi:

I just read through the posts on suggestions for a S rebuild. I have a stock, MFI '72 E that I plan to someday rebuild. It runs fine now but I plan to keep this car a very long time and want it in like-new condition.

I have read Bruce Anderson's book several times and have a mechanic here locally who has built several 2.4's, 2.7's and 2.8's, etc., and is very well respected. I know Bruce feels the 2.7 w/ E cams and webers is one of his faves but I'd really like to keep my MFI. Afterall, it's the "E" in einspritz.

My goal is for a very hot but very reliable street & DE performer (read ~200 HP) but not an out and out race car, and am trying to weigh the value of keeping a true 2.4 displacement E (ie, totally stock), putting 2.2 E pistons in to raise the c/r & HP, or going with a 2.7 a la RS but with E cams. I know there's no substitute for cc's but I also see the value in keeping it a 2.4 (its rarity).

The other question then is how to feed it--MFI or carbs? As I said, I'd like to keep the MFI if possible but not sure on the cost of rebuilding and re-sizing my MFI for any of these changes.

I'd like to hear pros and cons on both displacement and fuel system changes and your ideas on the proper marriage of the two.

Thanks,

John
'72 E Sunroof Coupe