Thread: 73 restoration

73scargo

73 restoration

I am restoring a 73S to original condition. I need some help with interior details, please.

1. My car has a black headliner with a checkered texture similar to the dash trim texture on older 911's. This isn't original is it? The parts manual lists a black liner, but all I've seen in early cars have been a perforated white, smooth liner.

2. Do all cars have clothes hooks?

3. There is a disconnected factory style blank-black pull switch just to the right of the steering column. I see the dash trim hole for this in the parts manual, but I don't know what the switch is for. My car is a straight coupe, without PW, sunroof, A/C, gas heater, etc.

Any help would be much appreciated. Here in Arkansas, I think I have the only 73S, so I can't look at other cars readily.

Scott Harter
    Little Rock

Chuck Miller

73 Restoration

Scott, will try to help

If your 73' has a textured headliner it is not stock,
    perforated in a 'diamond' not 'square' patteren was stock. The prevalent color was off-white but black was
    also a stock color.

Yes, all 73's' have clothes hooks (except RS-light-weights)

The switch you are describing sounds like the factory
    driving-light switch. If you don't have the driving lights, perhaps you still have the factory horn grills which differed by the elimination of the two center horizontial pieces which made it possible to attach the lights by using mounts through the horn grills.
    Most 73's came pre-wired for driving lights, the wires
    are bundeled behind your front direction signel assemblies.

Hope this helps Scott,
    Chuck Miller

pzavagli

73 RESTO

73 have clothes hooks i HAVE SOME IF YOU NEED THEM hEADLINER WAS AVABLE IN BLACK OR WHITE Autos INTERNATIONAL HAS THE RIGHT TYPE THEY WERE ABLE TO FIX ME UP WITH THE RIGHT ONE FOR MY 71, ALSO THE PULL KNOB TO THE RIGHT OF STERRING COLOUMN SHOULD BE FOR THE OPITIONAL GAS HEATER, i HAVE ONE IN MY 71 AND WORKS
    fine the knob is to the left of the haeater controls and is all black it doesnot light up . When the knob is pulled it lights the red panel on the haeter controls look for wiring in hidden compartment and also relay behind panel that hids your heater ducts.
    If you have the gas heater and you want too restore drop me a email i put mine back together after a through going over. pzavagli@aol.com Phil 911 S member

73scargo

Thanks for the info, Chuck and Phil.

adgx

Porsches in Arkansas

Hi Scott- just thought I'd drop a line.I don't have an "S", but I'm rebuilding a 70T that has every S modification and improvement. I'm in NW Arkansas near Fayetteville. I'm a lifetime motorcyclist who has traded his latest bike for this sportscar. I plan on tearing up highways 16,21,23,7 and others. Actually, we may have some of the best, curviest, most uncrowded roads in the country for driving! I'll probibly be up and running late summer (I hope). Let's hook up sometime! I also have a friend rebuilding a 68 coupe.Alex Darmstaedter adgx@excite.com