Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: tire recomendation

ttweed
    Lots of good comments in this thread already. A couple of things I would like to add:

Although I mentioned the Yoko AVS, I have to admit the last street tires I bought for the '67S were Bridgestone RE71s. They are older tech, discontinued tires now, and hard to find in some sizes. They are only 140 treadwear rating (which is relative only to other Bridgestones), and aren't the longest lasting tire, but they are great to run in autox in a "street stock" class if you aren't allowed to use R-compound rubber, and only $56 at Tire Rack.

I purposely bought 195-50s, a very short tire (only a little more than 23" tall), because of the gearing advantage for autox and the fact that it lowers the car by about 1/2". The section and tread width on these is as wide as my 205/60-15 Dunlops, which previously cost me 2 points in "extra width handicap" in our zone. There can be a lot of variation in actual dimensions amoung different manufacturers, so check the specs carefully. The 245/45-16 Kumho is a full 1/2" thinner in section than the identical size designation 245 Hoosier, for instance. You would think that the difference in width between a 265 Kumho and a 275 Hoosier would be about 10mm, right? It is actually almost an inch larger on both tread and section dimensions, while remaining close to the same height! It seems to me that this "fast-and-loose" sizing policy by the tire companies could render all your estimating with a tire-size spreadsheet moot, in the same way that their treadwear ratings are not standardized across the industry.

As far as your speedo accuracy goes, be sure and check how it is calibrated now, before you change sizes. I was sure that with these new tiny tires my freeway indicated speeds would be way off. I put the RE-71s on and took my GPS with me on the drive to Dunkel's this weekend, and although I was turning 4250 RPMs at 75 mph indicated now, I was very surprised to see the GPS registering 74.9 mph! Multiple tests at different speed ranges with good satellite fixes showed that my speedo was actually perfectly accurate now, more so than before. It was under-reporting speeds previously!

As a carpenter, I offer a saying that was handed down to me by a master who was training me in the trade 30 years ago: "Measure twice and cut once!"

Good driving to you all,
    TT

jkolesa

correction

i just remembered........ i used to use RE 71's. but they discontinued them. the newer version, which i have, is the RE 930. as i said they are quite sticky and great in the wet.

pwd72s

Re: correction

tt tweed forgot to mention another advantage of 50 series tires, especially for performance purposes. It's a cheap way to give yourself "short gears". Never thought of using my GPS to check speedometer accuracy. Thanks. Should work, especially now that we civilians are allowed more accuracy in the GPS readouts.

pwd72s

Re: correction

my goof...TT, you did mention the gearing advantage. My apology. Again, thanks for the GPS tip. It was a beaut!

Rick Cabell

7 inch fuchs clearance

I picked up my 71S in SLC last week and drove it to the Las Vegas event.(great time!) The car has the original deep dish fuchs in perfect shape.BUT, they are polished instead of the original anodizing. I personaly don't care for that finish. I selected the pirelli P-600 tires. I loved the tires on the track,but the polished fuchs must go. I purchased four 7x15 early fuchs on rennlist and plan on going with 205-60-15 tires all the way around. With stock suspension, will I have any clearance problems with this setup? I have very little experiance with other than stock wheel and tire combos.

pwd72s

Re: 7 inch fuchs clearance

I'm running 7's on my '72. Running 195/65 Yoko A008P. With stock suspension? You'll get rubbing. My car has bigger torsion (23 2 and sway (19mm) bars, and things are still tight, clearance wise. Rick, if I had it to do over? Should have kept my 6's...but boy I do like the look of the 7's. On my car, the tightest clearence problem was at the left rear. But with stock suspension and 205's? Well, I hope it works for you...but don't sell your 6's just in case. That was my goof, back in the 70's..had already sold my 6's before trying the 7's...

pwd72s

have no idea how I got that smiley face. Anyway, torsion bars size is 23 front, 28 rear. Yeah, stiff!

Rick Cabell

Thanks for your advice. Sounds like if I keep the 195-60-15 P600s,the 7 inch wheels will work just fine. Any thoughts on that setup? If the deep 6" were anodized instead of polished, I would leave well enough alone. I found 7" for the same price as i would pay for 6". As you said, the 7" look real nice. I have seen some of the early fuchs with a frosted look on the dish part of the wheel. Do you know what application used this finish?

911E

Wheels

Rick,
    E-mail me and I'll get you the name and number of a guy who does great work restoring wheels to the original anodized finish for a very reasonable price.

pors911e@aol.com

ttweed

Rick-

I had 4 wheels re-anodized after full polishing for $120 at a local plating shop. I'm not sure where you live, but if there is a relatively large urban area nearby, you should be able to find a shop to do it- it's a pretty common industrial process. They even do it in colors (how about some hot-pink anodizing for you non-traditionalists?)

For an absolutely original appearance, you will still have to paint the background and webbing in between the spokes black. The most tedious part of this is the tape-off. Get some fine-line 1/8" or 1/4" max. 3M masking tape, which will do a much better job of bending around the tight curves. After taping the outline, apply firm pressure to the inside edge of the tape all the way around to prevent any bleeding under it, then follow over it with wider tape and newspaper/kraft paper to completely mask the rest of the wheel. Then spray with Krylon #1613 Semi-flat Black, which is an excellent match for the factory color, and is available at WalMart or your local hardware store. There is also a Wurth spray paint which I have heard is a perfect match as well, but a little harder to find.

If you do this to your 6" set, you won't be needing those 7" Fuchs and you can sell them to me! You can't really run the 7" in the rear with any sizeable tire unless they are the 911R offset (49mm). I had rubbing with 205/60s on stock 7" rims before I put on the flares.

YMMV,
    TT