Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: tire recomendation

pwd72s

Re: 7 inch fuchs clearance

And how did Porsche give the anodized spokes with black-out look in the first place? Surely they didn't tediously mask & paint every wheel. Looking at the back of my then unused spare tire's wheel, I came up with a theory. They dipped 'em! Note the uneven unpainted areas on the back of the spokes, in the hollow areas of the spokes...where air bubbles would remain if the wheel were dunked to a predetermined level in a big container of paint. Just my theory...a guess.

That said, 7" with the offset to the outside is possible, my car is proof...and without welding on flares. But it isn't easy. Suspension needs to be really beefed to reduce lean & squat. Plus the hard part...you'll need to modify the lip of the wheel arches. Either rolled, or better yet, a body shop with a good "nibbler" to simply cut away much of the lip in the areas where the tire would rub.

All of the above postings give good thought. If I had to do it over, I'd have kept my originally finished 6's. But, this was 20+ years ago...just didn't think things through like we do now. I sold my under 10,000 mile old 6's to a guy in Colorado who wanted them for his converted to disc brakes speedster...for $400. Gawd, I wish I had 'em back!

Give serious thought to having your 6's put back to stock finish. Then consider the 195/65 tire size. This will fill your wheel arches to a very close to stock look. Click on the interactive tire size chart on this site, play with it a bit, and you'll see what I mean. 50 or 60 series tires will leave an air gap...just not as pleasing to the eye in my opinion...in my opinion. For performance events? Definitely go the stickiest 50 series you can find, mounted on a different set of wheels. Then you have stick, plus the added benefit of the effect of lower gearing because of the smaller diameter.

After all hat discouragement on the 7's...want to see how they look on an early body 911? Click to photos on this site. The green '72S at the bottom? Dat's my baby...

soterik

Fuchs refinishing

There is a great guy in Southern Cal. (Anaheim), who restores Fuch's very reasonably.

Al Reed Polishing, at 714 632-3907.

He is conversant on any type of finish you would like.

He did several sets in original anodized finish for me, but can also do a polish and clear powdercoat for easy cleanup (with near original appearance).

Al charges (at least recently), $85 for the full anodizing refinish, less for the others.

regards,
    soterik

Rick Cabell

Well, after all this good information I have pretty much made up my mind. Get two of my 6's redone to original and put them on the front,and then put my 911R wheels on the back!! I think 195-65-15 on the front,and 205-60-15 on the rear might work. with the R wheels in the back I think I will need about 14mm of spacer. Thanks all !!

pwd72s

You're among the fortunate few to have R wheels? Oh, mannn!
    Oh, Mannn! Cool!

Rick Cabell

BTW About a year ago Al raised his price to $95 per wheel. Still one of the only true values left in the Porsche world!! He will also take light to moderate scuffs and curb rash out for about $10-$15 per wheel. Still a more than fair value. I spoke with him today and he is so busy that I know that he won't be reading these posts and raising the prices. As far as 7" on all four corners,does'nt the tire brand have something to do with the clearance posibilities? Pirreli might work fine but bridgestone will not? Any thoughts?

911E

Wheels

I've got the same wheel set-up; early sixes up front and R's in the rear. Pirelli P-6000 in the W speed rating. 195-65-15 FR, 215-60-15 RR. 1/4" generic spacers in the rear. I think the factory spacers are 6mm. (I bummed the generic spacers from Schmidt. He knows I'm a cheap bastard and knew better than to loan me factory spacers.)

The front and rear tires are almost identical in diameter. I'll e-mail you a pic.

Rick Cabell

Re: Wheels

911E--Yes please e-mail the pics!! Eurotech@together.net