Thread: muffler skirt??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    targa911s

muffler skirt??

Ok so I'm watching "LeMans" the other day and I noticed on Steves car what appears to be a skirt below the rear valance the appears to be some kind of shiney metal. Is this a factory part?? Anybody know the part # or if it is available??

sithot
    The muffler skirt was an option which showed up on a few cars. The RS book even lists a some cars ordered with it! It is listed as an accessory in the parts catalog. My book shows it up to 1973. I can get a part number for you if you like but it is NLA and out of production.
    It is 3 pieces which are attached by sheetmetal screws into the existing valence. It is ventilated with slots.
    I had a brand new one that I sold last year. It is an interesting piece but will only work on a car with a standard(not sport)muffler.

rick cabell
    I was surprised to see some chatter about this 3-piece rear skirt. Just yesterday I purchased one through abarter with another early 911 friend. It is brand new in the wraper,but for short wheelbase cars only.It cost me a fair penny.I saw that SITHOT had sold a new one last year. I tried to e-mail him to find out what someone paid for it ,but his e-mail address is private. I will have to watch Lemans to see it on McQueen's car.

ttweed
    I saw one of these skirts on an original '73RS Touring. Were they simply an appearance item (they just hide the bottom edge of the muffler that usually shows under the valance, as far as I can tell) or was there some other function for them (sound attenuation or something)?

TT

eurotechtogethernet

911 muffler skirt

I was lucky enough to trade my way into a NOS rear muffler skirt in the original Porsche wrapper. The only time I saw one of these was in Brett Johnson's book. It looked OK but a little bulky in appearance. When it arrived today I was pleasantly surprised. It was smaller and much neater looking than the one in the book. The slots in the rear piece were a lot smaller and the spacing was better. this will definitly add to the look of my 67S project. My question is,does anyone know more than I do about the history of these things? I find it hard that Porsche made two differant types of these. thanks-Rick