Thread: pertronix ignitor

KarlHash

pertronix ignitor

I'm having trouble setting my pionts. I set the correct gap but still the engine will not rev to the 7200rpm limit, it only revs to 6000rpm. I wondered if there is a difference between pionts for an 'S' and a 'T'.Has anyone replaced their points for a Pertronix ignitor in their 'S' with the original CDS ignition box.

targa911s

ignition system

Howdy, I have replaced my points with the Crane ignition system. I LOVE IT! Set it and forget it!

elfenbein

ignition system

Hi there

Could you elaborate on the differences you have noticed since installing the Crane system?
    Also, was it easy to fit?

Thanks

jsf911s

Re: ignition system

Also could you include the part number, required parts, good place to purchase, and any other "need to know" info for the Crane system. Thanks

Jeff #119310268

911SRegistry

Re: ignition system

The Crane breakerless conversion unit is the XR-700. If you have a Bosch distributor, they have a model that will fit. It's a tight squeeze, but everything fits. If you have a Marelli, you might be SOL. I got mine from J.C. Whitney a few years ago. Summit Racing, as well as tons of other resellers, also carry it. They sell for $80-$100.

The XR-700 can also be used with their CD units (Hi-6, 3000, etc.) as a trigger device. Might work with other CD units (MSD, Accel, Holly, etc.) as well, but not sure. Installed by itself, no other changes or parts are necessary. Tach works fine.

Others use the Pertronix which I hear is equally trouble-free, maybe even less costly too @ $65.

Sherwood
    '69 w/Bosch dist.

Crane xr-700 works with an MSD, at least mine does. But I remember it took some fooling with to get the tach to work. An MSD tach adapter finally did the trick. All in all a great piece of equipment.
    Re the original question about reving to 7200, you didn't by any chance put in a new distributor rotor with a rev limiter set at 6k?
    jhtaylor
    santa barbara
    74 911 coupe. 2.7 redone by Competition Engineering; ported to 36mm, shuffle-pinned, boat-tailed, Elgin mod-S cams, J&E 9.5's, PMO's.
    73 Targa (much beloved, sold and off to a fine new home in San Francisco)

Quote Originally Posted by KarlHash View Post
    I'm having trouble setting my pionts. I set the correct gap but still the engine will not rev to the 7200rpm limit, it only revs to 6000rpm. I wondered if there is a difference between pionts for an 'S' and a 'T'.Has anyone replaced their points for a Pertronix ignitor in their 'S' with the original CDS ignition box.
    Do you have the correct rotor arm on the distributor. Mine has a 7300rpm limiter, maybe the T dizzy has a 6000 limiter. Pull the arm off and have a look... the numbers will tell you.

Regards Mike.

Changed to Pertronix on my T with orig CDI and never looked back. Most import though is to make sure the bushings are in good shape or timing will be inconsistent. I think there is some better descriptions on Pelican about wiring with the orig CDI. I will try to add that.

EDIT: Here it is: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?t=422175

Check the last post for my experience and wiring help
    Olin - Member #1375
    ░▒▓█▀▄▀▄▀▄█▓▒░
    1972 911T

Original
    -117 Light Yellow -15x6 Fuchs (9120/M400) -S Appearance (M470) -5 Speed Transmission (9590)

Options added
    -Houndstooth Sport Seats (M409) -Rear sway bar (9228)
    -H4's -BTB Fog Lts (M429) -Amber TTG Driving Lts (9420/M432)
    -380mm Steering Wheel -Becker Mexico -Roof Mounted Luggage/Ski Rack (9503)
    -A/C (M559) -Rear Fog Lt (M571) -Rear Wiper (9290) -Wheel Trim (M426) -Footrest (9563)