Thread: crankin'

crankin'

Ok ..I've got one for you all. My 70 2.2 S with MFI is just a total S.O.B. when you first start it up and after it has set for a few hours. On first start I have to put the foot to the floor, and crank it for about 30 to 45 seconds, then lift my foot off the pedal and hope it kicks. If not then I start the proceedure over and it usually starts fine. Then if I leave it parked for a couple of hours, I have to go through the same thing all over again. Needless to say this is taxing my batts and starter needlessly, and we would certainly be the last car out on a Le Mans start! I had the car to Dave Whites here last week and we discussed it breifly. The squirters in the air cleaner I understand are only for like 42 degrees and colder and being that this car is in Floriduh, that means about 3 times a year. There also was some talk of a pressure valve ON the fuel pump that holds the fuel pressure from start to start, but only on half the model year. Can any of you wizards out there shed some light on this for me?

Ive never heard that about the cold start relay. I was of the understanding that they were designed to squirt for a short period anytime the car was started cold....however, I am certainly not an authority. I had similar problems with my 1970"S". I ended up taking it to a local shop where the owner is very familiar with the MFI system. Turns out that my pump was off two teeth and the car was running very lean. It took quite a bit of tuning but the car runs better than I thought was possible now. I guess this isnt much help, but maybe its some encouragment=0
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

crankin'

a 12 sec. bug! You're the man! And a 67 at that! Very collectible bug.
    Don't know can't say about the temp thing I DO know they ain't squirtin for sure. Just had a major service and had the MFI timing checked along with everything else, so that rules out that one. I will check to see if I'm getting power to the cold start "squirt unit" this eve that could be the answer. Anybody else got any ideas?

thanks for the idea.

david & 9110310111
    70 S Targa
    5.5 min. Mini Van
    soon a BMW Mini "not a Cooper"

i put a couple new batteries in today and had to adjust/remove the voltage regulator. ( i did not screw it up, but i did not fix it. the voltage regulator, that is ) i went to restart at she would not fire. i had pulled the red wire loose to the cd. she now starts instantly. i mean first hit. check that wire on your to see if its getting a good connection.
    72 911t * 74 914 2.0