Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help on door detent replacement for '73 RS

Need help on door detent replacement for '73 RS

I got up at the crack of dawn today to replace the worn door detent on the driver's side of my '73 RS. My door basically flies open and I don't like that so logic says I've got a worn detent, right?

After I finally figured out how to remove the door panel, I removed the old detent. It was a steel assembly with a steel arm that passes through 2 pulleys inside of the door (if that makes any sense). It fastens to the inside of the door by using 2 allen head bolts on the outside of the door.

Here's where things got interesting: My replacement unit is a one piece brass assembly that has a body that is about 1 inch square. Moreover, this unit has 2 studs that stick out through the door. It is fastened to the door by using two nuts & washers(instead of the two allen head bolts on the original unit).

Two problems with this replacement unit: the studs that stick out are positioned in such a manner that I can't get a socket on the two nuts on the outside of the door to tighten the unit into position. I was able to hand tighten it and attach the arm to the body of the car, but then the door didn't want to shut (i.e. the arm wasn't retracting into the door. I didn't want to force things for fear of bending the sheet metal where the detent mounts to the door.

I have a strange feeling that the detent I am using is actually made for '74 and newer cars. But I would welcome input from anybody who may have experienced this problem.

My gut tells me to wait for some good advice before I screw anything up by using too much force. I'm all ears if anybody can guide me through this. Thanks in advance for any help!
    2015 McLaren 650S spider
    2001 Ferrari 550
    2010 Ariel Atom 3
    1979 Ferrari 308gtb

Paid-up Registry Member & proud of it!!

Door Detents

Those door detents were significantly changed throughout 911 history. If I recall, the '68s are different from previously and i know that the changed again in 1969. Seems to me they changed again somewhere around 73-74. You seem to have the wrong one.

admin_old
    Yep. You don't want to bend any RS stuff.

Compare the replacement door stop with the existing unit. If the arm that sticks out of the door looks exactly the same, you should have the correct stop. One style (69-70) uses an arm with a forked end. It also uses two socket (allen) head screws to attach it to the door.

The later stops (71-89) uses an arm that is flat. The unit may attach to the door using two hex nuts. By all accounts, your car should use this style door stop. Some of the replacement (repro?) door stops for these model years don't have studs sticking out and may use loose nuts and bolts to attach it. Is it possible you have the replacement unit installed upside down? The arm is curved.

Maybe you can repair the old one. There is a pin on the inner end of the arm (inside the door) that limits the travel of the arm. Mine had broken in two and fallen off. I replaced the broken pin with a screw. It works fine. I didn't have to use the replacement door stop - it was the wrong one.

Regards,
    Sherwood Lee
    Early 911S Registry web

Thanks Sherwood. The unit I need is the one that attachs using the two allen head screws. It turns out my existing unit should be fine, it just didn't have either or the 2 helper springs. I just located a couple of the springs, and now I should be back in business. Thanks for your help!
    2015 McLaren 650S spider
    2001 Ferrari 550
    2010 Ariel Atom 3
    1979 Ferrari 308gtb

Paid-up Registry Member & proud of it!!

Refreshing an old thread here. I had a couple helper springs.? break on my door detent assembly (71 Targa) anybody repro the springs or are they available from Porsche.? The detents are in good functioning shape other than the broken springs, any help appreciated. Thx

Quote Originally Posted by Jrsully View Post
    Refreshing an old thread here. I had a couple helper springs.? break on my door detent assembly (71 Targa) anybody repro the springs or are they available from Porsche.? The detents are in good functioning shape other than the broken springs, any help appreciated. Thx
    I had found some used 914 door stops and scavenged the springs from them; the rebuild kit from Stoddard looks to have the springs included.

http://www.stoddard.com/91162410500-sic.html
    -Andrew
    '72 911E
    '82 931, '92 968, '93 968
    S Reg #1074

Thanks Andrew. If anybody has some good used springs out there, I would be very I interested. Cant see spending that kind of $$ for 2 springs. Thx again

Down here we are fortunate to have really good hardware stores, known as ACE hdw. If you have similar up there I have found them to have an excellent selection of springs and was able to match up what I needed for the door stop.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

We got ACE as well Ed, I'll be hitting the local one tomorrow. Thx for the tip

A good lock & safe store usually has a good selection of springs