Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Early 911 horn

Early 911 horn

Im sure this will seem rather simple to most of you guys, but I dont have many early cars around here that I can look at for comparison. I dont have a horn. When I push the horn button, I hear a relay clicking behind the dash....but no honk. Where should the horn be located? I thought it was in the right front fender, but that location is taken up with my euro copper oil cooler. I think mine is MIA. Are they hard to ind? Anyone got one for sale? Thanks, Dave C
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

Lightbulb

Dave- my horn connection was on the left side! Attached to a sick old VW horn...I couldnt take it anymore and got the Hella air horns! Much better!!
    ChadC
    71 911S Targa

Horns

911S should have 2 horns - one each inside the front fenders. One is high pitch, one is lower pitch.

Early 911 horn

Dave,

They are indeed on the left side, low and forward on the inner fender panel. The OE's were pretty anemic however the option 'two-tone red' (high-low) horns were damn loud.
    They are electric not air, they mount and hook up just as the OE's, and I believe were/are made by Hella (maybe Bosch). I have'm on my car and when you're cleaning the steering wheel and accidentally hit'm they REALLY get your attention.

Hope this helps,
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Horns

My horns are made by Hella...

Also, your horn is probably there. I ran into that problem many times, and it was due to corrosion of the electrical connectors.

i also have the hella horns. very effective. the fiam ( sp ) italiano horns are also good. i have a 914 steering wheel ( smaller diameter/ closer to the dash. had a swith/contact problems. i can check the wire code in the basement if you need it.
    72 911t * 74 914 2.0

Well, I looked this week and the horns are not there any more. Why would anyone take them out??? I am looking to buy a set if anyone has any. Thanks, Dave
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

horn

My 70 S is bone stock and came with two Hella horns, high/low one on each side, lower front fender. Like behind the "horn grill".
    They are not the flat VW style horns, they are the coiled type.

Odd......Some people I talk to say that the Hi-Lo horns are both on the drivers side....some say they are on eon each side.
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

They're both behind the left-hand fender on mine, a '73 2.4E. And they're long and narrow (but I don't know what sort they are - it's cold and wet out there and I'm not going out to the garage to find out!).