Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 3.0 MFI Port Size Advice Needed

Re: Hmmmm Sounds Like a Type 930/18...

Originally posted by Neunelfer
    I'm looking for info on a type 911/77 which was the 3.0 in the 74 RS. The SC RS motor used a different MFI system (Kugelfischer I believe). The 73-74 3.0 RS motor used the Bosch, it even had the same 2.7 space cam. Ironically, it's the only motor on Bruce's chart that doesn't give port dimensions.

Your thoughts?
    My thoughts are it's lucky we have a guy like Schmidt who has actually seen one of the engines you are talking about to advise you. I'd say you should listen to him. I only play a mechanic on the Internet. He BE one!

Welcome back, Schmidt! Did someone tell you about the "ignore" feature, too?

Now that you mention the Type #911/77, I see it on the previous page in Bruce's book. That's funny that it doesn't list the port size. The valve size is the same as the SC engine, though- 49mm intake & 41.5 exhaust, so it looks like the smaller port, late SC heads would work well.

I know Mark Kinninger built a 3.0 MFI motor for a red RS clone he had a few years ago and it definitely rocked! Mick Rosen bought it from him and then sold it to buy a 993. I think he's still kicking himself, although he does have a very original '73E to console himself with...

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

Agreed TT... Schmidt's been a big help with this one. Exactly what I was looking for, someone who knows about and has seen a 911/77.

Schmidt, it's an 88 300TE. My brother has the 87 300TD (which I wouldn't mind having) but he's had the trap oxydizer problem. Seems they put the trap (CAT) in front of the turbo. When the pieces eventually came out they went straight into the turbo. Nothing that a factory "test" pipe didn't solve. That one's my parts car I have an ML320 (wife's car now) but it pale's in comparison. They simply don't make them like the 124 anymore...

So... 36, 35, S-Cams, SSI's MFI system and a Sport Muffler. Sounds like it's taking shape. Pistons... hmmmmmm? I've spoken with EBS. It seems like they may be able to help.

How can I get in touch with Mark Kinninger? Would like to hear how he build his...

Thanks again Schmidt.
    Eric - Sandy, Utah
    71 911
    914-6/GT
    914-6/ORV
    87 944 Spec 1
    Porsche Truck
    62 Beetle
    80 VW “Caddy” Pickup
    72 R75/5 Toaster Tank
    PMB Performance
    We'll Make Your Calipers New Again
    Love Us On Facebook

How can I get in touch with Mark Kinninger? Would like to hear how he build his...
    Mark is lead mechanic at Black Forest here in San Diego. Phone number is (858) 292-1192.

Good luck on your project.

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Read my surf novel!

Mark's Info

Thanks TT,

Just got off the phone with Mark. He's done a couple of these engines. He has done larger displacement and larger ports but echo's the 36, 35 sentiment. Especially with S-Cams. He built a 3.2 with 906 cams. Fuel delivery was no problem on the top end but it had peaks and valleys... flat spots while driving around town.

So, for a general all around driver and screaming engine 36, 35 is the way to go.

Thanks Schmidt.
    Eric - Sandy, Utah
    71 911
    914-6/GT
    914-6/ORV
    87 944 Spec 1
    Porsche Truck
    62 Beetle
    80 VW “Caddy” Pickup
    72 R75/5 Toaster Tank
    PMB Performance
    Love Us On Facebook

The 87 124 3.0 diesel was the costliest Mercedes to date to imported into the US for Mercedes Benz. The initial trap oxidizer problems were found early on and cars were having them replaced every 30,000 miles under warranty. Many of these cars however had failed and the honeycomb structure of the cat broke down and got sucked into the egr and right into the engine, and Mercedes was left holding the bag with a engine replacement. Years later they had a warranty replacement of the entire exhaust system that used a Euro down pipe and a new style cat located under the car, but by this time the problems had cost millions. Initially the cat was located as close to the engine as possible to keep it hot to make it work, do to the decreased temperature of the diesel exhaust. No the quality of the product is not what is used to be, I think 1995 was the last of the high quality cars thus the end of the 124.

Thanks...

Thanks for all your help Schmidt. I finally feel like I have resolution on the ports.

MB - my 124 feels like it's carved out of one solid block of metal. I love it.

I feel like I'm pushing the envelope here but I have one last question:

I have a "jail bar" style oil cooler for this project. My car being a 71T has no mounts for such. I went to the dealer and they couldn't find part numbers for mounts (didn't look very hard either). A fellow rennlister told me the dealer could order them.

Any idea on the part numbers for the body mount (lower mount) and the headlight mount?

Thanks again... I feel like I'll have a very smooth 3.0 MFI once it's finished.
    Eric - Sandy, Utah
    71 911
    914-6/GT
    914-6/ORV
    87 944 Spec 1
    Porsche Truck
    62 Beetle
    80 VW “Caddy” Pickup
    72 R75/5 Toaster Tank
    PMB Performance
    Love Us On Facebook

Yes those mounts are available in the body section from Porsche, 83 and 84 cars used that 28 tube brass cooler, ill look into it.

I INSTALLED THE BRASS COOLER ON MY 73 911 AND IT WORKS GREAT! IF YOU NEED PART NUMBERS OR WANT TO INSTALL IT SO IT LOOKS STOCK, EMAIL ME.

rgrago@cox.net

ALL THE BEST!

ROGER GRAGO
    R GRUPPE #27

Re: Mark's Info

He built a 3.2 with 906 cams.
    Yes, that motor is now in Kurt Starnes car- I missed buying it by about a week.
    TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Read my surf novel!

Roger, PLEASE DO NOT SHOUT WITH CAPS! That's considered impolite on the net. Don't ask me why...
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)