Thread: Rewire Fogs Indendent of Relay

Rewire Fogs Indendent of Relay

Need your expertise muchachos,

My '73 has the stock wiring setup for the thru-the-grills. What method to you suggest to by-pass the relay so they can be turned on independent of the headlights other than completely rewiring the switch? Wire colors and fuse numbers appreciated.

Gracias,
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

On my 73 T coupe it looks like someone used a rear window defogger switch, changed the plastic indicator button in the rubber plug, and then ran a new wire straight from the switch to the fog light fuse. From the fuse box, they used the original (white with green) wire to the 'through the grill' lights.
    This means that I can use the lights anytime, with or without parking or headlights. I am not sure how much current is lost that might be better used through the use of a relay. However, my lights are the US/35 W bulbs, not the H-3's so maybe current loss is not an issue. The US version has all the efficacy of waving the cigarette lighter in the general direction of the front of the car.
    I'll probably duplicate the set up for my S coupe as soon as I can get the courage to drill a hole in the dash for the switch.

John, aka the capitalist roader
    3 1973 silver 's' trim 911's; Sporto S Coupe, MFI T Coupe, CIS Targa. 'through the grill' lights on the 2 coupes

Thanks John for the reply,

Seeing that I don't want to rewire my rear window defogger quite yet (I still have half the elements working!) I may have to go for another suggestion. If it comes down to rewiring the switch directly to the fuse, that's doable too, just was looking for any btdt which was a bit easier. Thanks again,

Rick

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

Lightbulb

I got a fog switch for a 914 with the 911 insert. Got a relay from Checker Auto....took 1 hr at the most. Piece of cake....oh yeah, I had aded another small fuse block(4 position) and used one ciircuit for the fogs.

Good luck!
    ChadC
    71 911S Targa

Hey Chad,

A relay, a fuse block, a little re-wiring, and the judicious use of a volt meter should do it. Wanted to avoid dong the rewiring thing if switching a few wires worked, but what the heck, an hour is nothing.

Thanks

I wanted to avoid the re-wire thing, but a PO boogered up the wiring for the fogs. Weird thing....from where the factory fog wires end(behind headlite buckets) to the fuse block, then up to the dash was fine, but the wires were cut off about 6" from the fog switch location. Sooooo....a generic foglite wiring kit from Checker Auto(about $8) took care of the wiring.

ChadC
    71 911S Targa