Thread: driver/passenger door side view mirror specs.

driver/passenger door side view mirror specs.

My '70 911 has SC doors and flag style mirrors.
    It is currently at the body shop. I had the 3 holes filled that were used to attach the mirrors. I am going to go with the original style chrome. (THANKS Dave B.)
    The mgr. at the shop states he is not sure EXACTLY where the mirrors are to be mounted. He does NOT have another Early 911 to compare.
    I have checked the Workshop Manual, no specs. for the holes to be drilled. Other than looking at photos of Early 911's, sitting in the car and guessing, what are my options?
    After the body shop, it goes back to Andial for the motor/trans. installation. The motor has been changed from the original 2.2 to a 2.7 RS Spec. The trans. has been upgraded to a 915 with LSD. (again, Thanks Dave) along with the suspension.
    I hope to have the car ready for the Registry Breakfast on the 11th.
    Thanks, Ray

Ray, would the base mount be the same with your round mirror '70 as my square mirror '72? Anybody know? I'd be glad to give you measurements if it would help. Another tip: On the inside door panel of my car, there are two rubber plugs filling two holes I'd estimate to be 1.5" apart, center to center. I'm pretty sure these plugs cover holes designed as the access to the mirror base nuts. I've never had them out, but it seems reasonable to me.
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Mirror photo...'72S

Here's a pic I have of my mirror...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Hello.

There are holes on the inside of the front top inside of the door that has rubber plugs of about 1inch. Pull out the plugs and drill in the center, use the prior thread picture as a guide.
    Please let me know if you need anymore help, I can see if there is and illustration in the shop manauls if you need.

All the best!

Roger
    R Gruppe #27

Ray,

Give me a call, I didn't realize it was your post til after I read it a second time.

Roger

Paul,
    Thank you for your time in attaching the photo. It is greatly appreciated.
    I do have a problem. The mirrors have been mounted INCORRECTLY. The shop was unsure about placement. It is now right below the fixed vent wing. Looking out, all I see is the bar that comes down from the vent wing window. They are going to fix it.
    It seems the SC doors do not have the plugs on the inside of the door. This is due to the change in mounts. The shop will have to be creative to mount it in the correct spot.
    Roger, thanks for your help AGAIN. I may need that template. Roger has been guiding me on the motor rebuild. The motor should be ready on 1-7, along with the trans. purchased from Dave Bouhain.

Glad to help Ray. BTW, I just dug out an old B&W photo of my then new 1970 911T. The base of the round mirror looks to be mounted in the same location as the square mirror on my '72. Another way to describe the location is to go straight down from the lowest point of the windshield rain gutter. 1 3/4" below the rain gutter point, you'll meet the rearmost and topmost point of the mirror base...the metal part of the base, not the rubber. The forward point of the mirror base is slanted towards the ground..from the center of the forward metal part of the mirror, straight down to the bottom edge of the door is 20" exactly. These measurements taken from my '72S...the mirror has never been off the car. Hope this helps you...or more importantly, the guys in the shop.

Paul,
    Sorry for the delay. I have been working all weekend picking up overtime. Thanks for the measurements. I gave them to the shop today. We'll see how it goes. This project is more work than anticipated. In retro, I should have just bought period correct doors.
    I will post a photo when finished. Maybe Monday the 13th?