I posted this over on the Pelican site, but I want your guy's input also. Thanks Jeff

This is a long post, but I need advice and you guys are the best!As some of you know, I was to be the proud owner of a '72 911S Targa today. Well, it didn't happen and I want you all out there to reply and let me know what you think of this situation. I found this 911 through Hemmings. The car is in PA and I am in OH (GO BUCKS!!). The owner sent me pics and answered all of my questions promptly. I offered him $11k on his asking price of $14.5k. The ad read that the car had weak paint and interior, but ran strong and was rust free. My offer was countered to $11.5 but I had to take it without a PPI, however I would have the option of walking away after looking and driving the car. I went this Friday to look at the car and it was NOT as advertised. The top leaked like a sieve. The front windshield seals leaked and water was coming in through there also. On the passenger side, the water had been standing long enough for mold and mildew to form on the seat and under the carpet. There was a sopping wet rag left in the back seat....it was literally dripping wet when I picked it up. Also not mentioned, was a 9 inch by 6 inch dent near the driver's side mirror that had a 9 in perpendicular crease in it. This spot was devoid of paint, like it had completely flaked off and nothing was left except bare metal that was now covered with surface rust. The engine ran well, but the tach would bounce around after revving the motor (bad cable I think). The oil temp gauge was not represented as faulty, but when I got there I was told it was bad. The tranny seemed balky to me. I haven't driven that many 915 equipped cars, but it didn't feel right to me. The trans would grind in the 1-2 shift and when shifting into first from neutral after stopping. It sounded to me like a possible synchro. Also the 2-3 shift was horrible. When I shifted it into third, I had to use what I considered to be excess pressure on the stick to get it into gear, other wise it would jump out of gear. Shifting into any of the gears felt really sloppy, not tight, nor smooth, but very vague. I ended up walking away from the deal. What really irked me was how this guy really misrepresented the car's condition, then had the nerve to get personal with his attacks when it came time to leave. I had my four year old son with me and he wanted to know why the owner acted like that. When I told him he was mad at me, he said he (the owner) needed to grow up! How true. So, did I do the right thing by walking away, or am I wanting too much for too little? I guess I was caught a little of guard by so much being wrong that wasn't disclosed up front. Thanks in advance. Jeff