Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a little holey advice...

Jared Rundell - Registered User JCR's Avatar

Need a little holey advice...

Well, I figured I would get myself a couple RS door panels from Performance to try out for a while and put my very nice original S panels into storage.

Problem is, I have read that I have to cut a 1” or so hole in the door inner sheetmetal for the strap to get to the mechanism attachment. YIKES!! I really have a hard time with drilling holes in sheetmetal!

Is there any way around this? Am I being too anal? (My very original car has been violated in several minor places already by POs).

Do the newer RS doors with the small finger loop work on early cars? If so, do they require drilling?

Looking for some advice and opinions from the wise ones.

THANKS
    Jared
    '73 911S #0793
    '69 912_ #0602
    Early S #0454
    RGruppe #0391

Re: Need a little holey advice...

Originally posted by JCR
    I really have a hard time with drilling holes in sheetmetal!

Is there any way around this? Am I being too anal? (My very original car has been violated in several minor places already by POs).
    Jared-

I wouldn't worry about the holes. They're under the door panel and not visible at all unless the panels are off the door. Treat the raw edges with some paint or POR-15 if you're concerned about rust or something. I would be more concerned about using the incorrect later RS America panels on an early car- they look out of place and are visible 100% of the time.

If you look at the sheetmetal on the door, there is a small ~1" square dimple stamped into the sheetmetal right at the place the strap needs to go through. Rather than drilling, I cut this square out and it looks like the factory planned for it to be done. Compared to the huge holes cut in other places for installation of air conditioning, etc., this modification is minor, IMHO.

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

If I had an S, I'd want to use the earlier style RS door panels.

Oh Gawd yes...if it's an early longnose 911, go with the early RS door panels over the RS America look...no contest as far as period aesthetics are concerned. Unless, of course, you choose to remain stock.
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Actually, I've seen the RSA panels in a 72E hotrod and they looked pretty nifty. All a matter of taste I suppose...
    Jack
    1972 911S- viper green
    1970 914/6- tangerine
    1967 Ferrari 330GTC- oro chiaro

RS door's ???

A slot cut into the provided emboss is one of 4 details which differentiates an original RS door from a normal 911 door. All 73 RS Carrera's came supplied that way whether it be a 471 or 472. Interesting that the factory produced extra tooling just for the small run. The slot and extra holes provided were all stamped and not drilled or cut with snip's. An easy way to check for imitations if your searching the market for one.

Robert......

P.S. Stay with the correct period looking RS panels. But if your car is highly original as I understand, WHY cut into a piece of history and change it ???

JRC

JRC. Is your "S" 0793, a coupe or Targa. Mine is 0792. I wonder how far apart our production #'s are under the dash.

Later. Robert.....

Actually, I've seen the RSA panels in a 72E hotrod and they looked pretty nifty.
    I'm putting the later ones into my own car. But authenticity is not even remotely an issue with it -- and it's a T.

Jared Rundell - Registered User JCR's Avatar
    Robert,

0793 is a silver S coupe, sunroof, sport seats, ltd. slip and factory air.
    US equipment. Sold new in California.
    Built in 1/73 according to door decal.

Tell me about your car.

I will be replacing the dash in the not too distant future - I will take a pic of numbers then. Do you have your underdash numbers? I'm not sure how to de-cypher them.

Is your car in Canada? If so, maybe we can re-unite them someday! I'm right near Windsor.
    Jared
    '73 911S #0793
    '69 912_ #0602
    Early S #0454
    RGruppe #0391

well boyz...

I've got RSA door panels on my 911....as best I can remember, anyone here on the board who's seen my car has told me they look pretty darn cool.....

Gawd....I'm sure glad I don't got an S....... I would've been thown into the snake pit by now...!!!
    Johnny Riz
    73E euro 3.2 w. a few goodies
    Rgrp 152
    S Reg 335