Thread: 1972 engine upgrade - whats it going to cost me?

1972 engine upgrade - whats it going to cost me?

I am in the process of buying a 72' 911, and will be deciding shortly between an "S" and a "T" that I have found. I had planned on buying the car, driving it for a while, and when I saved some more money dropping a 3.2 in it. The "S" I am looking at is in great shape, but the engine is tired which would drive me to upgrade earlier. The "T" is, well, a "T" and doesnt have what I am looking for so again I will be looking to upgrade early. For anyone who has done the upgrade, beer math (+/- $1k) what can I expect it to cost me? I appreciate any insight/tips you can offer. This is my first leap in Porsche ownership, and I am relying on some outside help here. Thanks again.

-Jon

Jon-

A 3.2 upgrade to an early car could easily cost you $7-12K, depending on how much work you do yourself, the condition of the 3.2 you buy, and what else you decide to do "while you're in there" (clutch/pressure plate/flywheel/limited slip/tranny rebuild, etc.)

Really good, low-mileage 3,2 motors are getting difficult to find used, however, and are fetching quite a price these days. I have seen them for as low as $4500 for a tired one to as much as $6500-7500 for a nice one. For that price, you can buy a used 3.6 liter engine. The conversion is much less straightforward for the 3.6 and will cost you considerably more, probably between $12-15K by the time you get done. Either way, you will have a great car when you get done.

Good luck,
    TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

My 3.6 swap was 8K.

Upgrading oil cooling and brakes was extra.

Crashing it at Laguna cost even more.

Talking What it cost

Jack,

I see it didn't cost your sence of humor even after all that.

All the best!

Roger

Thanks. My mother always told me. "When life hands you lemons, you make a lightweight RSR replica."

I never knew what she meant until that day at Laguna.

Mom is always right...
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Thumbs up Mom

Jack,

You have a very cool and very smart mom! I do hope you listen to what mom told you. As Tom said "mother is always right".

Roger

S/T Rebuild Opinion

If it was me... which it ain't:

If I bought the "S" I'd keep it S-T-O-C-K.

If I bought the "T" I'd do whatever I wanted with it.
    Eric - Sandy, Utah
    71 911
    914-6/GT
    914-6/ORV
    87 944 Spec 1
    Porsche Truck
    62 Beetle
    80 VW “Caddy” Pickup
    72 R75/5 Toaster Tank
    PMB Performance
    We'll Make Your Calipers New Again
    Love Us On Facebook