Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shades of Green

These two pictures were taken about 30 seconds apart, the time it took me to walk around to the other side and shoot.

Greg DuPertuis

1972 911T
    Leesburg, VA

due to color balance not light intensity

The "shady area" will have a much much cooler spectral balance of light falling on the car.

That's the cause for the different perception, not the intensity of the light.

Thanks pwd72s, you have pointed out part of my dilemna. I like one of your pics (full sun) a lot. It seems be more like British racing green. The last pic is much more "St Patrick's day", yet they are the same color.

I've been admiring the soft window targa picture in the Lentinello book "Autofocus Porsche 911". Based on the posts here it is probably also Irish Green.

rst911, Your pics didn't show up on my browser, but the caption sounds intriguing.......

pwd72s, Is the last pic closest to the "real" color in your opinion?
    http://www.classicvelocity.com
    70 911T Targa
    70 911E
    73 914

If you go flying back through time and you see somebody else flying forward into the future, it's probably best to avoid eye contact....

Sorry, Cox.net is down.

Here we are from the front ...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Greg DuPertuis

1972 911T
    Leesburg, VA

Then from the rear a few seconds later ...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Greg DuPertuis

1972 911T
    Leesburg, VA

wit61? Yeah, I'd say the license panel shot is the most "accurate"...but is it? The light of a flash probably gives the more true color reflection. As a comparison, Greg's car is also "Irish Green", but done with a more modern paint formula...my car is not a respray. So, 30+ years of wear & tear, fading, combined with the chemicals in the paint no longer used due to envrionmental laws...who knows??? But I think Greg's pics illustrate it too...this color changes depending on how you look at it. green/yellow mix maybe? I dunno...
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Green? Is it live or is it Memorex?

Sorry, not to add to the variables but... no one has mentioned their computer moniter accuracy.... When is the last time you saw a row of TVs or monitors next to each other at the store? If you're going to split hairs (and spend lots of money on your paint), maybe you might want to see it in person. Just my wooden nickel....