Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: which mirror for 72 e targa?

which mirror for 72 e targa?

Don't know if this is the right place for this question. Technical? What is the correct door mirror for my 1972 911e targa? Is it the rectangle or the durant? If it is the rectangle should it be chrome or black or were these options? It is a US delivered car (I think that matters.) Also any one know when the nerf bars were offered as options? My car has the single tubular bar attached to the bumperettes but I also have a rectangle looking one that I got off E-bay that could be cool too. I'm trying to keep everything period correct ton the car.
    Thanks
    1972 Aubergine 911e Targa
    1980 Vespa P200

The small chrome (stainless) rectangular mirror is correct for your car... black was not an option

The exception would be if the dealership, on buyers request, replaced the retangle with 2 Durants, one for each side...

There are always the exception to rule, but that that will get you there.
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

performance p had some reprodution ones if you can't find an original.

i saw a 73 with the round oil cooler protection bar at boy scout camp. it looked original and correct. (he had state trooper insignias on the car, so he must be leading a double life)
    72 911t * 74 914 2.0

1 or 2 mirrors?

Chuck, thanks for the help. Your answer raised another question. Driver's side only or both for 72?
    1980 Vespa P200

The small factory rectangle was only made for the drivers (left) side of the car. Right side small rectangle factory mirrors never existed.

Performance Products do carry a reproduction drivers side and passenger side small rectangle mirror, however the quality is very poor.
    Chuck Miller
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

I have a nice rectangular mirror extra that I would sell for $45 plus shipping but I think that it is the larger kind. Would this be correct too Chuck?
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

Once again, thanks Chuck.
    You seem to be theman with the answers. Care to chime in with a quick tutorial about the different nerf bar options? Were fronts ever offered?
    Thanks,
    Max

PS. I'm in LA also. When my car is drivable hope to see you out on the road.
    1980 Vespa P200

Cornpanzer,

The larger chrome rectangle mirror came out at the very end of the 73' production run... I have seen the exceptional 73' with larger mirror (i.e.. Steven Childs's very late RS (BTW, he now sports a small mirror... couldn't stand all the flack)
    However, the usual factory mirror was the small rectangle until late 74' into 75'. Most 74's have the small and most 75's have the large.

Max,
    Ya got me on nerf bars buddy, you should get others to chime in on that one…

Will look forward to see ya on the roads of SoCal
    Chuck Miller
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

The first 2 photos show aftermarket bars Porsche could install for you at the dealer... The third photo shows a factory installed unit. The factory never offered a front bar.
    Attached Images Attached Images