Thread: Swaybars

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Swaybars

Does anyone have any experience of after market adjustable sway bars.

I have seen them advertised in Excellence and they look like they might be just the ticket

I have a 72 T with uprated suspension but stock front and rear sway bars. I would like to have a stiffened feel for the track but a comfortable ride home

I would be grateful for the full force of forum opinion

Cheers

Mike Burdon
    To ask is to seek denial

Re: Swaybars

Originally posted by Mike Burdon
    I have a 72 T with uprated suspension but stock front and rear sway bars. I would like to have a stiffened feel for the track but a comfortable ride home
    Mike-
    The adjustable ARBs are nice, but expensive. TRG, Charlie bars, and the new Smart Racing bars are acknowledged to be the best, but they are costly. Tarrett makes some nice ones, too.

Weltmeisters are the cheapest, but I don't like the way they attach in the rear. I used a fixed 21mm Carrera bar in the rear on my '73E, with custom bushing/droplink pieces to fit the stock attachments. I do use the cheap Weltmeister adjustable one in the front. It works OK if you get the adjustable droplinks too.

For more bang for the buck, I have upgraded my '67S by just using larger stock Porsche bars. An early Turbo 18mm bar will fit the front with just new bushings, and the '74-'77 18mm rear bar will bolt right up. I found both (used) for $75/ea. and bought plastic bushings for them, using all my other stock hardware. That's less than the cost of one adjustable bar.

Good luck,
    TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

thanks for that, I'll let you know how I get on

Cheers

Mike
    To ask is to seek denial