Thread: Do you use your Webasto gas heater

Do you use your Webasto gas heater

The previous owner of my 67S removed the fuses and fuel line to the gasoline heater because he said he was afraid of it. I am thinking of making it operational. It apears to be complete although it has not run for probably thirty years. Do any of you guys operate your gasoline heater? If so what should I be aware of? Where does the little exhaust pipe run to and terminate at ?

Being in Lo-Cal, I haven't run mine in years, but it is still installed in the smuggler's box. The exhaust pipe comes out the bottom and thru the pan below the box, then runs on a diagonal to the passenger side rocker and back, approximately where the oil lines run in the later cars with front coolers. It terminates just past the back of the door. My pipe has long ago rusted thru near the pan penetration, so I have been hesitant to run it for fear of fumes, and definitely don't need the "instant heat" feature around here.

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

snowbound

heater boxes do just fine

We had a real unsual two week long 50 degree warm spell up here in Alaska and after all the wet/sloppy roads dried up, I got to take the 911 out for a spin.

My car only has the the stock exhaust manifold/heater box stuff and, I gotta tell you, she roasted me. It was about 8:30 PM when I got home and the temp had dropped to 32 degrees, and she was cooking me out with only half open flap set.

You really only need the stock set up for cold temps, unless you want to run your car in below freezing temps in traffic.

Keep them rare cars warm an dry, I say. Shawn.

Tom and Shawn, thanks for the info. My exhaust pipe rusted through right were yours did and then must have fallen off years ago. The brackets are still there where you had mentioned, I wondered what they were for. I think I will repipe with copper pipe. Does the end of the pipe remain under the car, or does it take a turn before the rear wheel and exit out the side like a miniture sidepipe? Here in St. Louis there are many subfreezing, but dry days in the winter when I can't resist to drive the Porsche. I'm an addict. The heat control valves are new and the exhaust manifold boxes look decent but I still don't get enough heat in subfreezing temps to keep the windows clear. In fact, the oil temp has a hard time reaching 140 deg F. Does that sound right?

Originally posted by Wolf Knierim Does the end of the pipe remain under the car, or does it take a turn before the rear wheel and exit out the side like a miniture sidepipe?
    It stays under the car. It turns straight down in a 1/4 bend at the end and the outlet opening is cut off parallel to the ground.

Originally posted by Wolf Knierim In fact, the oil temp has a hard time reaching 140 deg F. Does that sound right?
    No. Normal oil operating temp is 180-220. Are your fan pulleys stock size? Have you actually measured oil temp to calibrate the gauge? Put a pyrometer on the oil tank when it's hot to make sure it's running that cold. It shouldn't be. As Snowbound says, even in cold weather, the air-cooled engine should heat up still when running hard. The Webasto was just for "instant heat" in the cockpit when you first start the car. It shouldn't be needed after the engine warms up- the stock heat exchangers should be sufficient.
    TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

I keep mine functional in my 70'..... This was the last type version of the gas heater with the addition of thermal sencors used up till 73'.... They work great..Especially if your in traffic and can't get the motor reved to blow air through the exchangers.. Just make sure you install a small fuel filter in the system... The slightest bit of dirt will clog the jets. Most of the parts needed are still available at the dealer.... But they are getting scarce..........

Robert........