Thread: Gate Shift kit in 901?

admin_old

Gate Shift kit in 901?

Last weekend, Curt was brave enough to let me experiment with a 915 shifter conversion on his 901 trans. setup (his Green '70 911S). Installed with the Gate Shift kit (adv. plug), it seems to work well enough to say (perhaps prematurely), there is now another shifter altenative for those with 901 transaxles. I'm asking him to try it for a couple of weeks just to be sure (see it at the next Registry breakfast).

There's more. We're also going to try the shifter out of my car. That one has the factory short shifter in it. Stay tuned.

Sherwood
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I'm staying tuned...looks cool!
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

915 shifter

Look interesting, I've tried a welmeister and I think its very hard to set up and went back to stock.
    Grover #53
    1967,911-S

Grover, what was the problem setting up the Weltmeister? I put one in mine and the shifting is incredible! I'm willing to help in any way I can to get you set up.
    '71 911S Targa

admin_old
    Just to follow up on the test installation on Curtis' 911S/901 - the test period proved successful with both factory and factory short shift versions installed. In fact, Curtis did a few 8/10ths laps at the last Registry event a few weeks ago. The conclusion was a thumbs up. That's good.

Thus, the Gate Shift kit is now a fully-tested upgrade path for 901 gearboxes. You can replace your factory 901 shift housing with a 915 shift housing, aided by the Gate Shift kit and an optional, but recommended short shift kit (factory or aftermarket). The same benefits experienced by 915 owners are now available to those with a 901 gearbox.

There's additional information on the website. If you'd like more information, please contact me. Thanks for the commercial timeout.

Regards,
    Sherwood
    www.seinesystems.com

Forgive my ignorance but from this it seems that this upgrade is to get to 915 standards of shift from the 901...?
    But the 915 is pretty poor, at least on my car...Is there a way of improving that?
    I'm less worried about speed of change more about accuracy, if that makes sense?
    All suggestions welcomed.

admin_old
    Assuming your gearbox is in good shape (synchros and all) and the shift housing is adjusted, there are some modifications and maintenance items that will improve the shift quality whether the 915 shift housing is mounted in a 912 or 911.

The factory nylon ball socket at the end of the shift lever and the nylon bearing bush that supports the front end of the shift shaft are common wear items. Remove the shift housing to access. Replace if worn.

The shift coupler under the rear tunnel plate contains bushings that also wear. Replace with factory or aftermarket bushings.

In the shifter itself, my device adds a spring-loaded feature to the 1st/2nd gear shift plane, similar to the factory spring-loaded feature on 5th/Rev. This has the effect of causing the shift lever to return to the 3rd/4th shift plane while in neutral (if using with a 901, the springs create 2nd/3rd as the default, centered gear position). To shift, you must overcome spring tension to move into the gears toward the left or toward the right (feedback). This results in "tightening" up the shifter quite a bit and less conscious "thinking" about gear positions while driving.

There is more discussion about this in the other Porsche forum (Pelican's). You can do a search there for more opinions.

Sherwood

Thanks for that.
    I'll look at the other threads and check the liknage etc.

The box is not in the prime of its life but I'm sure that these would help.