Thread: Fuel Pump Kill Switch

Fuel Pump Kill Switch

Hi guys,

There was a discussion on safety and theft prevention on the main board. One of the suggestions on theft was installing a covert fuel pump kill switch. Who has a wiring diagram for a '73, or can tell me the location of the wire and color/s most easy to reach? Or do you have another solution other than carrying my own tire boot?

Much grass amoebas!
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

I just pull the rotor...either that or remove the coil wire...enough to foil the casual thief. The best "kill switch"? Browning Hi-Power...all that said, for electrical diagrams, here's another Pelican link:
    http://www.pelicanparts.com/911/911_...l_diagrams.htm
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Rick,
    I've had one just like you mentioned for over 10 years...

I think we just bridged the ground wire on the fuel pump and ran it discreetly into the car to a hidden toggle switch.
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

admin_old
    RickS,
    Chuck and I should compare kill switches. I installed one during the height of the car jacking scare in the area. Luckily, Lexus, Mercedes, Honda, Toyota and any SUV rate higher than my car.

The objective is to discretely, non-chalantly and deftly switch off the fuel pump circuit (carbs on mine) while a 44 Magnum (actually, any caliber will do) is pointed at my head - engine still running. I wouldn't recommend shutting down the engine at this point; might give the bad guy a negative perception of your intentions.

While a sudden kill (I don't like that term in this context) switch or equivalent can prevent the car from walking away while "conversing" with Irene in the local massage parlor, doing this in the company of a car jacker is not altogether recommended. However with carbs (hey, here's one advantage over EFI), there's enough fuel in the float bowls to allow the "latest owner" to drive away for approx. 3 blocks before the engine sputters to a halt - a little farther if his redline is 8000 rpm. At this point, and I hope Darwin's theory doesn't apply here, the car jacker decides NOT to use my auto club card (from my wallet of course) and cell phone for roadside service and instead vacates my car right where it expires.

This gives Barbi and me enough time to quickly vacate the premises and/or call the authorities who will promptly respond and arrest said perp (give or take a few hours, depending on what part of the city this occurs) and/or recover the abandoned and hopefully undamaged, but regretably not numbers-matching 911.

A kill switch also works well for unattended car parking. If stolen, my car may be just a few blocks away upon my return - so what if it's parked in the fast lane of the Pasadena Freeway? Either there or in a truck parked around the corner and headed for the nearest chop shop or international border. Your results may vary.

My kill switch is marginally helpful. I hope this helps someone else.

Sherwood

I have the same Sherwood kill switch 'bad guy' 3 block drive away window of opertunaty .
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Guys,

The diagram for the '72 shows are red/orange with green spotted wire coming into fuse 7 from the fuel pump. There is no such colored wire in the vicinity. I am a little hesitant to try the trial and error method of just disconnecting one wire at a time and seeing if it will not start. I find myself sounding like a weenie, but don't want to fry the alternator or ???

Signed, Just being Paranoid, or the Mother of all Weenies
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell