Thread: Street tire experience solicited

Street tire experience solicited

Time to replace the Yoko 008P tires on my '73 coupe. I'm contemplating replacement with either the Yoko AVS db, Michelin Pilot or Pirelli 6000. Any experience for street use for any of these tires or recommendation(s) for another brand/type? (I love it on the TireRack web site when reviewers complain of "only 30,000 miles" tire life when they characterize their driving as "very aggressive.")

I've been happy with the Yoko AVS. I've been a Michelin fan since my motorcycle sportbike days, and have had the brand on several more modern cars. However, I have not used the pilots or the Pirellis on a p-car.

It takes me a while go through a set of tires on the p-car, but I'm always trying to change that
    http://www.classicvelocity.com
    70 911T Targa
    70 911E
    73 914

If you go flying back through time and you see somebody else flying forward into the future, it's probably best to avoid eye contact....

Are you on original 15" rims, still?

The AVS intermediates were being closed out awhile back and you could get very good prices on them, but I think they may be gone now, replaced by the ES100. The AVS Sport is a good tire, but only comes in 16s, I think.

I have Michelin Pilots for street tires on the '73. They wear well but I wouldn't call them a performance tire.

I can highly recommend the Falken Azenis RS Sport if you can run a 205/50-15, especially if you're interested in performance/$$$ ratio. They may not be quite as good as the Michelins in the wet, but they are still passable, and they are a GREAT performance tire in the dry. They are very limited on size selection, though.

Kumho also has some good street tire candidates for reasonable $$$, like the Ecsta 712 or MX.

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

Tire Search

Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated. I'm now running 195x65x15 tires on 6" Fuchs and am in SoCal where rain is rare and one must commute to the snow. When I got the car it was equipped with 7" fuchs with 185x70x15 and they rubbed inside the fender wells so the seller swapped out the 7" for the 6" rims. Suspension is stock except for Konis on the rear, Bilsteins at the front.