Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sway Bar Adjustment

Sway Bar Adjustment

I recently installed 19 mm sway bars in the front and rear of my 73.5 911T and am trying to figure out where I need to adjust them.

In AutoX this weekend, I noticed a delay between me turning the wheel and the car beginning to turn and would like to reduce that lag time. I am guessing that I want to induce a little more oversteer to "quicken" the response.

Is that correct? To induce more oversteer, do I lengthen the arms or shorten them?

If not, what are my other options?

TIA
    Harry

Member #789
    1970 VW Sunroof Kombi Bus - "The Magic Bus"
    1973.5 911T Targa for fun - "Smokey"
    2009 MB C300

Harry-

The swaybar adjustment will be less important to your "turn in" response than your alignment settings and tires. What tires, rims and pressures were you running? What is your toe setting on the front?

A common autox setup is to have no toe-in at all, or even a slight toe-out. Make sure your tires are not underinflated or without sufficient sidewall support from the rim. That can cause a mushy response. The larger swaybar in the front is transferring more load to the outside wheel than before, and doing it quicker, so the tires may be distorting more.

Although I don't believe it is the source of your problem as described, to induce more oversteer, you would set the front bar at full soft and start tightening the rear bar. It is on it's softest setting when the lever arm is the longest (the droplink is as far toward the end of the bar as possible).

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

Tom,

I am using Toyo Proxes H4 205/50-15 (a very hard street tire) on 7" Cookie Cutters. I run 37 psi rear and 34 psi front to minimize sidewall roll.

Until I added the swaybars, I had none at all.

My alignment settings are pretty much stock. I can't seem to find the sheet from my last alignment but my wrench told me that I was more or less at the basic euro settings.

The suspension is quite high and at some point I will lower it when the ugre to mess around with it for a few hours hits me.

I am on a tight budget and my intent is to use what I have to it's fullest potential.

Thanks for the tips.
    Harry

Member #789
    2009 MB C300

Originally posted by ttweed
    ..........to induce more oversteer, you would set the front bar at full soft and start tightening the rear bar. It is on it's softest setting when the lever arm is the longest (the droplink is as far toward the end of the bar as possible). TT
    Ahhh - Haa !!!!

Just what I was looking for Tom.....

Mucho Gracias Amigo !!!!!
    Johnny Riz
    73E euro 3.2 w. a few goodies
    Rgrp 152
    S Reg 335

Originally posted by RSupdate
    Ahhh - Haa !!!!

Just what I was looking for Tom.....

Mucho Gracias Amigo !!!!!
    Tom,

Did I create a monster?
    Harry

Member #789
    2009 MB C300

Originally posted by HarryD
    Tom,
    Did I create a monster?
    Nah, I think Mike G. did it- got John to come out for an autox and now he's hooked. He was having a problem with his car pushing in tight corners, too, thus the interest in the solution.

Don't discount the power of a good alignment. More negative front camber will help, and the slight toe-out I mentioned will keep your turn-in crisp.

Your tire/wheel setup sounds OK. 205/50-15 on 7" rims should have good sidewall support. Try the swaybar adjustment and if that doesn't cut it, you might try chalking the edges of the front tires and then lowering PSI in two pound increments until you start rolling over on the shoulder too much. That may help the front grip get better. Then raise the rear pressure if that's not enough adjustment, but don't go over 40 psi there (cold). Don't be afraid to experiment, including ignoring all advice and doing the opposite if it works for you.

Have fun,
    TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

If a-xing seriously, lower the ride height, get as much negative camber as possible, Hoosier or Kumho tires, and a set of Koni or Bilstein shocks. The biggest change would probably be the tires. Hope this helps!

Kevin
    72 911T/E

Originally posted by kwikt
    If a-xing seriously, lower the ride height, get as much negative camber as possible, Hoosier or Kumho tires, and a set of Koni or Bilstein shocks. The biggest change would probably be the tires. Hope this helps!

Kevin
    72 911T/E
    Kevin,

When I get a job and $$$, some of those things will happen but for now, I am running with what I got and will work for personal best. I need to be careful as I use this car as a street car also.

Thanks for the info!
    Harry

Member #789
    2009 MB C300

Originally posted by ttweed
    Nah, I think Mike G. did it- got John to come out for an autox and now he's hooked. He was having a problem with his car pushing in tight corners, too, thus the interest in the solution.

Don't discount the power of a good alignment. More negative front camber will help, and the slight toe-out I mentioned will keep your turn-in crisp.

Your tire/wheel setup sounds OK. 205/50-15 on 7" rims should have good sidewall support. Try the swaybar adjustment and if that doesn't cut it, you might try chalking the edges of the front tires and then lowering PSI in two pound increments until you start rolling over on the shoulder too much. That may help the front grip get better. Then raise the rear pressure if that's not enough adjustment, but don't go over 40 psi there (cold). Don't be afraid to experiment, including ignoring all advice and doing the opposite if it works for you.

Have fun,
    TT
    Tom,

Thanks for the advise.

Did the chalking thing early last year to get the pressures I have now. Chances are I need to repeat due to the addition of the sway bars. The car was recently aligned when i had the tie rods replaced (turbos of course) and they are close to the euro settings.
    Harry

Member #789
    2009 MB C300

Ran an AutoX this weekeknd.

Before I went out, I softened the Front bar a bit (moved out 1") and did two runs. While it seemed improved over the past, the turn response was still sluggish so I went to full soft (added another 1/2") on the front and immediately gained 3 seconds on my next run. I still do not like the response so I guess my next step is to firm up the rear. The rear bar is at about the 50% setting so I can move it in a bit more. Like the front I will go for 1" moves.

I suspect I will need to make the next change at the track as my high speed oversteer will be very pronounced at these settings and that is no fun with the latte drinkin, cell phone talkin folks that seem to inhabit the highways nowadays.
    Harry

Member #789
    2009 MB C300