Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any success eliminating wind noise fr doors?

Any success eliminating wind noise fr doors?

I put in new door weather strips from Performance as well as their "quiet kit' of little plastic worthless parts. Made sure all the door plugs are good, and still the wind noise is very noticable at speed coming from the between the dash and the leading edge of the doors. What fixes would you recommend?

Grazie,
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

Rick,

I have the same problem on my '75 and bought the same silly plastic parts from PP. I haven't messed around with those parts yet, but my early inclination was that they would be useless. Is that what you found to be the case as well? TIA!

Rob
    2015 McLaren 650S spider
    2001 Ferrari 550
    2010 Ariel Atom 3
    1979 Ferrari 308gtb

Paid-up Registry Member & proud of it!!

Rob,

Don't bother to take them out of the bag. A couple of them broke immediately, and the others didn't do a thing. Send them back or add them to the worthless pile.

Anyone else have any solutions? I can't imagine we are all driving cars with wind noise coming in at freeway speeds and haven't found a solution. Is one brand of weather stip suppiorior to the others?

Has anyone found some other add-on that works?

Grazie,
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

I am tired of it too

Driving between 45 and 85 MPH with alot of wind noise. I have replaced every piece of rubber that is not soft (vulcanized by the San Jose sun) and I have the old durant mirror. I removed it just to check for problem areas and...it was a very noticable wind noise decrease. Mounted a talbot in the same area and is was a huge increase in noise. Way cooler mirror though, still on.

It's a combination of old rubber seals and poor aerodynamics of the side view in my opinion. The mirror creates a negative pressure area at the p cars aero tight weak point and it is near your ear. Mine too.

Shawn.

P.S. do not do try this at home, driving without side view mirrors is only for harley hotrodders that strip parts off thier scooters (yeah I was one...not any more) and not recommended for actual freeway driving. S.
    67 coupe roller
    99 M96 2.5 litre
    early911s reg 447
    R Gruppe 399

Wind noise

Just curious, but can you feel the air coming through by the A-pillar? I was talking to someone @ Monterey who had wind noise @ the same speeds (40 - 85). It turned out to be his "almost new windshield"... the noise went away after he replaced it.

Ed Mayo showed me a trick to eliminate the noise when we were at the recent Early S Registry event in the Texas Hill country. It basically consisted of strategically placing a bit of "dum dum" or body putty on the door seal. I'll see if I can get him to send me a picture and I'll forward it along.

Jason Burkett
    Paragon Products
    www.paragon-products.com
    Jason Burkett
    Paragon Products
    www.paragon-products.com
    Early 911S Registry #428
    R Gruppe #375
    1973 911S
    1972 911T
    1974 914 Limited Ed. Blk/Yellow
    1989 944 Turbo
    1993 968 Turbo RS
    1967 Shelby GT500
    1968 Shelby GT500 Conv.
    2010 VW GTI, Daily Driver

not the windshield..

I'm certain that it isn't the windshield. (the glass has so many little tiny rock chips you would think it's original) The body and gaps are tight, the doors click shut like an old fridgidare.

There is no detectable air movement either. It's just one the little things that makes early car ownership unique.

Shawn.
    67 coupe roller
    99 M96 2.5 litre
    early911s reg 447
    R Gruppe 399

I'm glad I never spent the $$$ on the PP noise reduction door plugs....seems like from what people have shared they don't work very well, or as advertised.
    Johnny Riz
    73E euro 3.2 w. a few goodies
    Rgrp 152
    S Reg 335

The quiet kit from Performance is worthless as I also found out. I've got some fit issues with slight gaps around the weatherstrip by the A-pillar. The body putty idea would probably work to build it up although I don't think it would look very good. I've been considering putting some of the thin peel & stick weatherstripping on the A-pillar in the area that I'm getting the noise.

Make sure your window frames are tight against the seal around the door. These are adjustable to some degree. Unfortunately, nothing seals like the originals (seals).
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111