Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any success eliminating wind noise fr doors?

For what its worth...

I had no noticeable wind noise when I got my '70 without the upper piece of the door panel (the piece that the door lock button goes through). I bought them and installed them, and guess what? Wind noise. Now when the door closes, the new door trim pushes against the rubber seal and lets in air.

But my engine noise is so great, wind noise hardly matters. Perhaps I should be asking about good ways to reduce engine noise.

Charlie

'70 911E

Guys,
    I also tried everything I could think of to minimize wind noise. Then I decided to install a set of stereo headphone jacks under the dash. Now if I want the symphony of sound from the engine, I open the windows. But during the times when the top is off the Targa, it's late at night and the stars are out, I put on the head set and listen to Bach (or the Moody Blues). I use my eyes to keep a sharp watch for constabulary, oil pressure and temperature.

caproader

I think we are getting somewhere here...

To reduce wind noise from car...install louder exhaust system.

To reduce loud exhaust note...install better stereo system..etc.

I see from recent R Guppe pics that a few of them boy's carry ear protection. I guess the ear plugs would be the etc.

Shawn.
    67 coupe roller
    99 M96 2.5 litre
    early911s reg 447
    R Gruppe 399

Originally posted by ckissick
    .....But my engine noise is so great, wind noise hardly matters......
    That's pretty much where I am on this issue, but heck, that ain't so bad now, is it? After all, the flatsix w. headers sure sounds awesome...louder the better on an early 911
    Johnny Riz
    73E euro 3.2 w. a few goodies
    Rgrp 152
    S Reg 335

I bought the velvet strip that goes from the leading edge of the A pillar back to the top edge of the B post. It was standard fit on 3.2's and will fit flush with the top edge of the door seal. You have to take out those small rubber things over the top of the door opening but that hasn't presented me with any problems. It looks better that the dum dum too

Cheers

Mike
    To ask is to seek denial

Originally posted by Mike Burdon
    I bought the velvet strip that goes from the leading edge of the A pillar back to the top edge of the B post. It was standard fit on 3.2's and will fit flush with the top edge of the door seal. You have to take out those small rubber things over the top of the door opening but that hasn't presented me with any problems. It looks better that the dum dum too

Cheers

Mike

Sounds like something I may want to do as well Mike. But is it actually reducing the wind noise? Thanks!
    2015 McLaren 650S spider
    2001 Ferrari 550
    2010 Ariel Atom 3
    1979 Ferrari 308gtb

Paid-up Registry Member & proud of it!!

chasing the wind noise

After immediately breaking the first part, I installed two of those little plastic pieces, along with an unnoticable amount of black caulking, and meet with some success in decreasing the wind noise. Enough to leave them in place.......

Thanks Mike for breaking the riddle. I have posted the same question on the Pelican main BB and no one seems to know.

Can you post a couple of pics of the miracle cure? Does this replace the weather strip or sit on top of the window frame or???Did you buy the strip from the dealer or aftermarket and what was it called?

Thanks,
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

In answer to all of the questions

Yes it does reduce/eliminate wind noise.

It is a factory part (sorry I threw the box away )

It complements the door seal, not replaces it.

I bought mine from a company called forest fine in the UK, but I did find the same parts on pelican

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/...eathr_main.htm

Cheers

Mike

PS Wolfturbo - I spent a very happy honeymoon at the Surf and Sand in Laguna Beach a few years ago. Is the Penguin Cafe still open in Laguna Beach (PCH 1mile south of LB)
    To ask is to seek denial

Its item 26

Mike
    To ask is to seek denial