Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1967 battery options

1967 battery options

I’m almost ready to put my 67 back on the road after a rather prolonged restoration period. I was hoping to install a maintenance free battery in the rather small area left of the spare tire but can’t seem to find anything that will fit in the 6.5 x 10” space. I have also noticed that the amp hours offered by these new batteries fall below the factory recommended 45ah. Has anyone accomplished this or am I stuck with a lead-acid solution.

Thanks,

Keith

Keith, Optima makes a smaller battery for the Corvette. It's model # is 75/35-925...I put one in Cindy's Ford Ranger because the standard Optima was too big. Do some careful measuring, but I think it will fit. It's a dual post set up..has top posts and a place for the bolt in connectors. The top mounted screw in connectors may give you a clearnce problem. Measuring there, I get 6.5" width, only 6.25" wide excluding those. It's 6" high, not including posts, and is 9.25" long. It's rated for 46 AH, 720 CCA...should be adequate. . Hope this helps... Paul
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Jared Rundell - Registered User JCR's Avatar
    I installed an Odyssey 1200 sealed battery on it's side. Fits in batt box very well, in fact it's a bit small. It may fit where you want it right side up too. Their website should have measurements.

I am very happy with it's performance so far.

I posted a link to a picture of a similar setup on this thread somewhere.
    Jared
    '73 911S #0793
    '69 912_ #0602
    Early S #0454
    RGruppe #0391

Jared, no battery box in a '67. We're talking a different install than with the '69-'73 cars...I'm hoping the smaller model Optima works for Keith.
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

67 Optima installation

I did, in fact, install an Optima 75/35-925, however it measured out at 7” wide at the bottom support plate which is almost one half inch too wide. The ’67 has a small L shaped channel welded to the suspension pan locating the battery. Rather than attacking the plastic battery base I fabricated a hard wood platform, raising the battery above the channel and gaining enough clearance. I can’t seem to locate my rubber battery strap so I can’t say how well it will work with the new battery. Both 901 series cars I’ve owned have had suspension pan replacement due to electrolyte leakage…I’ve attached a photo of what I hope is the solution.

Thanks for all your help!

Keith
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Keith, I think you'll love the battery. For a tie-down on Cindy's car, I used a rubber tie down I bought at the local battery store...it mounts like the rigid across the top of the battery method used in Detroit iron. I shortened a couple of threaded uprights, used wing nut & washers. So far so good, but even with beefed sway bars & edelbrock shocks, I doubt her Ranger generates the cornering forces you will. Scratch your head a bit, I'm sure a good tie down method is in there somewhere. Once you get it sorted out? You can probably forget about the battery for a decade or so...

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    According to Upfixin der Porsche, Vol 11 Page 113 (I was reminded of this by the PCA Technical Committee):

The original Battery is 22NF. A better fit is 2HN

I think the 22NF is common to things like old Ford tractors. If you have a little time, you can probably order a 22NF from any Interstate Batteries dealer. Maybe you can find it in stock at a farm equipment store. I used to have an Interstate 22NF in my 1965 911, and the label was decorated with pictures of tractors.

Thanks to a sudden, URGENT, need for a replacement battery my car now has a 51R (or maybe a 5R--it's hard to read) Sears Diehard. It's supposedly intended for Hondas. It's a little narrow, but it's a decent enough fit. If your battery dies in a Sears parking lot, it's an option...

a local pca member mentioned that a mazda battery fits the hole. yet another option, but the tractors sound cool.
    72 911t * 74 914 2.0

Keith, or others
    I bought a 51-1 lead-acid battery off the Sears rack for my 67. Fits well with the factory cover and rubber strap.

Wolfgang

If I'm not mistaken, Keith's goal was to get away from the liquid acid spills & emissions of conventional batteries. Once a mounting method is figured out, the Optima should accomplish that goal. I'll admit the look is unconventional, though. Perhaps if one painted the curved sides so the battery looked like a 6 pack of Coors?