Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 67 rear end negative camber prob...

More Photos

Hi Tom, Here are a few photos of the car at Road America - thank goodness the corner workers take pictures, I never see the car at speed going into corner 12. The pit photos are in race mode and traveling mode. The roof top carrier holds two race tires and is good till about 110mph, after that it starts to slide back.

The 6' fuchs with 205/50s were pretty much at max for this car. Also, the fender lips have NOT been maxed out for clearance (everything done to the car has been reversible - 'cus it is a 1964 car). The front tire slightly rubs the inner wheel house and I have a smidge of space left to the fender. The rear had substantial rubbing on the alignment bolts so with grinding the tops down on the bolts and using the 1/4" spacers it just polished the bolts (in hard cornering) and has maybe a three playing card thickness clearance to the fender. Both front and back have different clearences from side to side...it must be the hand-made car thing.

We don't have many swb cars to compare to here. When Robin Boone (Seattle) did the tour through here a few years ago (Brainerd, Road America, Heartland Park) I went to school on his 911R 7" rears and all-mighty huge tires. He was running the rear waaaaaaay stiff to get tire clearence, they stood even to the fender line. Photo attached. Is this similar to your set-up?

Would you share a photo of the side profile with the (mongo) setup. What are you running for tires? The old Yokos R's had quite a bit of sidewall flex so to allow for all the movement size was restricted to a 195, a stiffer sidewall BFG was used but the 205/50's were the largest to still not rub. Are you on Hoosiers?

Needless to say the next car will have just a bit more space for tires prior to painting.

Bob
    Attached Images Attached Images  

More Photos 2

More Photos 2

More Photos again

Here is the first pit photo.

More Photos

Photo of traveling mode.

Thumbs up

YOU ROCK BOB...

My hat's off... guts and class...
    Very nice program...

Cheers,
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Re: More Photos

Originally posted by Bobs 67S
    The roof top carrier holds two race tires and is good till about 110mph, after that it starts to slide back.
    Very cool, Bob! Before I bought my trailer, I used a roof rack to haul 4 tires to events. Can't say as I ever did 110mph with it, though! I don't think I have any pics of it with the rack on. Hmmm, maybe I'll have to dig around some...

Both front and back have different clearences from side to side...it must be the hand-made car thing.
    Yep, I have seen different fender clearances on two cars from the same year! All the SWB cars running in our club are '67 models, so your '64/65 may be very different.

Would you share a photo of the side profile with the (mongo) setup. What are you running for tires?
    The mongo setup is on my race car, the '73S:

This shot is from Laguna Seca with 245/45-16F and 265/45-16R Kumhos on 8 & 9" Fuchs.

The '67S is my street car, although I have autoxed it a few times over the last 3 years in the Street Stock class. SS class requires a tread wear rating of 140 or higher, so I use Falken Azenis RS Sport tires on 7" cookie cutters. My normal street tires are 205/60-15 Michelins on 6" Fuchs. They fill up the wheel wells much better than the short little 205/50 Azenis. Here's a pic from the last autox:

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

Tom, thanks for the reply.

I like a person that bring the right tool for the job. The 73 in in turn 9 at leguna Seca? The SWB 67 for autocross. And, a Zink when you want to feel the G's. Neat.

Originally posted by Bobs 67S
    The 73 in in turn 9 at leguna Seca?
    Yah- here's one coming thru the Corkscrew in a later session:

And, a Zink when you want to feel the G's.
    Sold the Zink a couple months ago to buy this one:

It's got twice the power, only weighs 300 lbs. more, and can seat two and be street legal in CA. The FF was fun, but this is more versatile. It needs some sorting out to be really quick, but that's half the challenge.

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!