Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Early 911 Colors

Okay I know it's not a 911 color but it's period correct and a beauty.

Ravenna or as we say in Texas "Raveena" Green
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Bobby
    71' Olive 2.2E Targa / Early S #491

I've always considered the glass to be half full...that is until I reached middle age and realized that it is actually half empty.

While were on 914 colors...

Delphi Green
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Bobby
    71' Olive 2.2E Targa / Early S #491

I've always considered the glass to be half full...that is until I reached middle age and realized that it is actually half empty.

How about leaf green? Let's see a picture as I've never seen it...

911 Color Info

Thought you guys would also find this interesting...

Below are colors of Porsches delivered in 1966, by percentage of overall production [as indicated in the October 1967 Christophorus]:

Light Ivory (23.9%)
    Polo Red (18.7)
    Irish Green (14.2)
    Aga [dark] Blue (8.7)
    Gulf [light] Blue (4.6)
    Sand Beige (9.5)
    Slate Grey (6.9)
    Bahama Yellow (6.5)
    Metallic Silver (3.1)
    Black (3.0)
    other colors (0.9)

Color info

More paint code info by year from the 912 registry

http://www.912registry.org/restore/pcode.htm

Light Ivory really stands out

Just a short note from a light ivory fan. I was recentlly faced with the challenge of repainting my '67S. At some point it had been repainted in a fiat red -- and it looked great. The car was actually delivered in light ivory and I was really concerned that if I returned it to the original colour it would lose the "impact" it had in red. In the end (for originality's sake) I decided to go for light ivory -- and I'm glad I did. While definitely more understated the car now turns more heads than it ever did while red. The car just looks classy and correct to period -- it's a great colour. It also sets off the chrome (and gold P-O-R-S-C-H-E lettering) beautifully. Most photos don't do light ivory justice (they tend to make the car look "white") -- but on the road it really stands out from contemporary colours.

Bram.

Irish Green it is

I don't know if I believe in divine intervention, but I saw a 1969 912 parked on the street in Upper West Side Manhattan yesterday painted Irish Green.
    It was strikingly beautiful in the morning light. Despite all the flapping I did about going with a brighter green, I finally decided to go with Irish Green.
    After seeing another post regarding some slight color differences between early SWB 911 silver paint and later LWB silver, I am curious to know if there is any difference between the irish green of the SWB's and those of later year LWB early 911's. I noticed when looking at paint code numbers for Irish Green that the Porsche paint code numbers are different for different years and different: Irish green is listed as 213 for early SWB's and L60E for later years. Also, I noted that there are different universal paint code numbers depending upon the year. I have seen 17217(a) as well as 70704(a). Anyone able to answer this definitively for me?
    Also, can anyone tell me the original paint process used to spray? Is it a two stage process? My painter has told me he plans to paint two coats. The first with the color only. The second with the color mixed with clear coat. Is this correct? How many coats of clear were done originally? I have seen his work on another early 911S and it is very nice. I just want to make sure that he doesn't cut corners with me due to my lack of car paint knowledge.

Lastly, thanks to everyone for the pic's and comments on this thread. Hopefully this will help others down the road.

light ivory...

great color...poor photography...dorky plate. Shawn.

67 coupe roller
    99 M96 2.5 litre
    early911s reg 447
    R Gruppe 399

Shawn,
    I thought I might get a little backlash from the light ivory crowd. I must admit that the white looks nice, but I am sold on irish green.
    By the way Shawn, I see that you have a 911 w/ S cams. There is a guy selling a clean set of 67 2.0S heads on EBay right now with one day left and the price looks right - the buy it now is $750. If you are interested in going further with the S engine upgrade, the larger valves and ports of the 67S heads will get you 2/3d's there. All that would be left would be the S pistons.
    Regards,

thank you Garth...

Yessssss, I want to S spec the engine as much as possible. Thanks for the tip.
    I would never try and discurage another out of painting thier car...any color but bahama yellow that is. It's our individuality that makes each of these cars uniquely ours. If every one of us had the same taste, we would all be driving light ivory narrow bodies with hub caps.

Shawn.
    67 coupe roller
    99 M96 2.5 litre
    early911s reg 447
    R Gruppe 399