Thread: 73'S Resto: aftermarket Rod Bolts?

73'S Resto: aftermarket Rod Bolts?

Guys,

I'm a novice at the mechanicals. I'm doing a complete 2.4L S rebuild and have already decided to do a 'modified S Cam' which is a re-grind of the orig S cams for better power band and day to day driveability (torque). Another option I'm looking at is to put performance rod bolts in. Question: if I'm not hard core racing this car (which is highly doubtfull, maybe some AX and TT's for fun), is there any reason to spend ANOTHER $200 to change out the factory rod bolts. Do they fail? Under what conditions?

If so, can anyone tell me the difference between the ARP bolts and the ones from RaceWare?

This is one of those hobbies where the options are endless but the budget is not. Advice appreciated.

Chris
    Chris Purpura @civilizedmisfit
    Member #479
    Current Cars:
    1972 911T aka The "Civilized Misfit" Build
    See: https://www.excellence-mag.com/issue...vilized-misfit
    Miss February - EarlySRegistry 2023 Calendar
    1968 911S Ossi Blau/Beige Corduroy

Past Cars:
    2019 911 Carrera GTS (sold, no regrets)
    73S - #1100 (restored and now somewhere in Europe)
    1997 993 Carrera 4S Black on Black (sold)

IMHO, factory rod bolts are fine for the 2.4. The only problem is, they may or not be "factory" even if the box they come from says so. Read Ed Mayo's article in an earlier issue of "The Esses"...counterfeit connectors are out there...
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

So the ARP racing quality bolts are $215 for the kit. I called my local dealer on standard Porsche factory replacement bolts and they are $288. That makes my decision easy. Unbelievable. No wonder Porsche is so damn profitable. Makes their excuses to not get back to top level racing sound damn pathetic if you ask me.
    Member #479
    Current Cars:

Past Cars:

Just a suggestion, but why don't you fit E cams instead of regrinding the S cams which are now very sort after? I'm sure there are plenty of people prepared to swap in your favour.
    Nick Moss - Early 911S #476 - RGruppe #318 - early911.co.uk

That's a good suggestion, Nick...I agree that the S cams may not be the best for city driving, but there are pleanty of guys who would like them, especially set up for MFI. Also, I had no idea that the ARP rod bolts cost LESS than factory...wow! Ed Mayo's piece on "factory" rod bolts failing on engines he'd rebuilt made me a believer. Ed too...he stated he'd no longer use "factory" bolts because of fear of counterfeits.
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Sorry guys. already did the re-grind. Elgin's design will bring max torque about 1500 rpm sooner, with 15hp more at the top (RS territory-almost). I had originally posted about the cams a month ago or so. Nobody mentioned using ECams as the starting point. If the end point was the same (ModS), then I would've save my S Cams or sodl them to a worthy soul. Sorry.

Question - can E or T cams be ground to factory S specs, thereby making an S cam? Or is it the original S part number thats important? Just curious why this would be a big deal.
    Member #479
    Current Cars:

Past Cars:

Part numbers only matter to the person buying the part, just as worth and value are always determined by the amount someone is willing to pay.

As for rod bolts, well, I can say that my 2.4S motor spins happily to 7600 RPM without fail, every time, for the past six years ... I'm using factory rods and bolts. It's the big bore motors that turn into hand grenades when you rev 'em if you don't use ARPs and Pauter or Carillo rods.

Oh, and a re-ground S cam will give you more top end than a stock E cam. So don't worry about your decision to grind.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

Chris,
    Do you have any specifics about this Elgin design cam? Is the 15 hp increase with cam only, or is that with a combination of other mods. How much does the regrind cost?
    Thanks, Wolfgang

Wolf,

You can reach Dima Elgin at 1-650-364-2187 or www.elgincams.com The gains are supposedly w/no other mods. He has more extreme grinds (3 diff ones for 2.4L engines, and more for up to 3.8Ls, RSR, 906, ect...) but they then involve different induction systems, etc... His most popular grind is called "Modified S", which is the one I chose. It doesn't require any other changes and works just fine with the stock MFI, and compression. Its designed to do 2 things. First, it broadens the power curve for better low end grunt (day to day driving) and increases peak HP by supposed 15 hp. I'm not planning to put the car on a dynometer any time soon, so I won't be able to verfy #'s (unless someone out there with one is curious, then I'll offer up my car ). Cost for a regrind is ~$300 (I only put the ~ because I got the shop rate through my resto guy who does a lot of cams there).
    Member #479
    Current Cars:

Past Cars: