Thread: Current 185/70 VR15 XWX Tires

Question Current 185/70 VR15 XWX Tires

I am interested in possibly putting a set of "correct" tires on my 1970 911S. I see they are available, but certainly not cheaply, through Coker and made by Michelin in France. Does anyone have any experience with these new (old) tires perfornance wise? My car had the orginal XWXs on it when I bought it, but they were very hard, and handled poorly, plus I didn't trust running such old tires at high speeds. I put 205/60s on it and they work well, but I miss the vintage look. However, I would not want to go back if they didn't perform pretty well.

I had them on a set of 7" Fuchs on my ex-911-T (S). They are hard but were the "stuff" in their day as I used to run them in the 70's. There are better tires but none I know of that have the "look" of the XWX's. For general profiling and running about at 6/10's I think they are fine. I understand that Michelin has made them a with a more modern compound but still be warned that they were some stiffies when new and I don't think that's changed much.

Tom

PS: Did I mention that they are pretty?
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

I run the coker produced 185-70-15 XWX's on my 356's, and on the lighter car with lower limits, its a great tire for that application, they look great and the new ones are tubeless as well.

But for the early 911, have you considered Pirelli CN36's? From their website, it appears that Pirelli still makes them in the 185-70-15 size, but I'm not sure where you can buy them.

Now if they would only made them in the 215-60-15 size as well....