Thread: H1 headlamp bulb question

H1 headlamp bulb question

Do any of you guys use the high intensity bulbs in your H1's. If so, which ones, any drawbacks?
    Thanks Wolfgang

Wolfgang, If you're thinking higher wattage, relays should be considered a must. Even with the standard (I believe 55 watts) bulbs they are probably a good idea, though I've never installed them. Here's a link to a site with great info. Best, Paul
    http://lighting.mbz.org/
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Great article Paul! I was considering using the PIAA bulbs sold out of Performance Products but that article pretty much said they were a scam. Can anyone else agree with this?
    Wolfgang

1. Scam

2. I use the Osram bulbs -- hard to get but my mechanic claims they are the best.

3. Relay is critical. Do a search on Pelican bd. for more info and info on fuses.

Ron Madio's headlights have megawattage output. That's in his 1977 "big ride" car. I had a peek at the large gauge tinned wiring, two relays used for each light, one for low, one for high beams, for a total of four realys. All of it running through marine grade circuit breakers instead of fuses. Ron may believe in overkill, but his system sure works! (later edit) I emailed Ron, here's his response: "I use two 75amp Bosh relays # 0 332 002 150.. one for high, one for low.. Narva bulbs 100/130w.. and Cibie H4 Euro lens.. DOT sucks.. and Bosch high current bulb sockets.."
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

I put H1s with 100W high beams in a 74 Carrera I had many years ago. I always worried about frying the wiring, but never had a problem. Don't know if there was any fundamental difference in the 74 wiring vs the earlier cars.
    Lee

Lee, from what I've been able to learn, the problem is in the dimmer switch, as Porsche wiring routes all the juice to the lights through it. With higher wattage bulbs, the switch contacts fry. Thus, relays are better.

Yeah, the stuff I've read suggests the same, and I would never argue against a relay. I just never got around to it.

Perhaps the reason I never had a problem was that living and driving in CA, the high beams were never on for more than a few minutes at a time!

If you don't have enough light, you might confirm accurate alignment prior to changing bulbs. My 55 W bulbs provide excellent lighting ever since I aimed all those reflectors correctly....

Originally posted by modav8
    If you don't have enough light, you might confirm accurate alignment prior to changing bulbs. My 55 W bulbs provide excellent lighting ever since I aimed all those reflectors correctly....
    Excellent comment! I paid to have my H-1's professionaly aimed back in the 70's. Haven't touched the adjustments since, and really haven't felt the need to up the wattage.