Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steering wheel for RS Touring

Steering wheel for RS Touring

Is the stock steering wheel for the RS Touring model the exact same that came on the 914? The reason I ask is that I need to replace the center rubber section as well as the plastic part it attaches to. I have located a 914 wheel to buy but I want to make sure it is the same as the RS. Thanks for your help.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

The part number for the leather 380mm 2.7 RS wheel is 911.347.084.00

For the 914 it is 914.347.805.11

Centre section is 911.613.805.00 or

The PET does not say whether these parts are interchangeable
    Nick Moss - Early 911S #476 - RGruppe #318 - early911.co.uk

I heard it was the same size wheel as the 914-6....I don't know about the 914-4's though...is the part number the same for all 914's, or is the 14-6 a different wheel?
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

My understanding is that the 914, 914-6, and 911 RS steering wheel are all the same diameter. The 914-6 wheel was leather covered like the RS wheel, but the grip was slightly thinner. A 914 foam grip steering wheel approximates a 911 RS wheel after it has been leather wrapped, although both the 914 and 914-6 mounting base need to be modified to mate to the 911.

Randy Wells

Originally posted by a911s
    A 914 foam grip steering wheel approximates a 911 RS wheel after it has been leather wrapped, although both the 914 and 914-6 mounting base need to be modified to mate to the 911.

Randy Wells
    Everyone, thanks for the replies. Any idea where I could actually find the center piece from an RS wheel? I would think that would be extremely hard to find. A better bet maybe the 914 center for now, modify it and then keep an eye out for one that may show up some day.

Speaking about horns, does anyone know if the horns on an RS are the same as an S model of the same year? Thanks again.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Brian

I need to replace the center rubber section as well as the plastic part it attaches to
    If you mean the rubber 'spring' under the horn pad it is the same on all '69-'73 911/912 & 914 or 914/6 steering wheels.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by
    the plastic part it attaches to
    - all RS Tourings & 'Lightweights' (after 6th Feb '73) used the standard 911 horn pad whereas there was a plastic version of the (metal) horn pad frame used on the pre-Feb '73 'Lightweights'.

The latter is pretty rare - the reason it was discontinued was because it proved to be very fragile - & will be expensive if you can find one !

Andy
    '69 911E-------->R

Originally posted by andyjboy
    Brian

If you mean the rubber 'spring' under the horn pad it is the same on all '69-'73 911/912 & 914 or 914/6 steering wheels.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by - all RS Tourings & 'Lightweights' (after 6th Feb '73) used the standard 911 horn pad whereas there was a plastic version of the (metal) horn pad frame used on the pre-Feb '73 'Lightweights'.

The latter is pretty rare - the reason it was discontinued was because it proved to be very fragile - & will be expensive if you can find one !

Andy
    '69 911E-------->R
    Andy,

Here are pictures of the front and back of the black rubber center piece of the steering wheel.

Originally there was a 'male' projection that came out of the round center area on the the back of the rubber piece. It fit into the middle of this black plastic piece that is attached to the horn switch.

The projection broke off and a past owner glued the rubber piece onto the black plastic piece. The black plastic piece is cracked on the left side where you would push the horn with your left thumb. My question is: are these pieces unique to the RS steering wheel or can I use pieces from a 914 or 914/6 wheel? Thanks again.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Brian, from the pictures you posted I now see exactly what you were referring to!

The 'rubber' part of the hornpad that you show does not have a central projection missing - the hole in the centre of the plastic 'butterfly' accepts the 'rubber spring' that I talked about in my earlier post. It serves to return the hornpad to its resting position after the horn has been 'honked'.

The plastic horn 'butterfly' was a part specific to the early RS Carreras (built prior to 6th Feb 1973) - I thought it was used on the Lightweights only but am not certain on this - & was replaced after this date with the standard metal-framed 'butterfly as used on the contemporary 911 (& 914). Thus you can use the complete hornpad from a 911 or 914 steering wheel - it's a direct replacement.

Incidentally, if you check the part number stamped into the central alloy hub beneath the horn pad on your wheel you will probably find that it has a 914 part number.

Here are some pictures showing the corresponding parts from a 914 steering wheel:

Andy
    '69 911E---------->R

Brian, not a very good picture but this is the rubber spring - they usually go hard & lose their flexibility:

The part number is 901.347.823.01 - Stoddards have it in stock for ~ $6.

Andy
    '69 911E---------->R

Originally posted by andyjboy
    Brian, from the pictures you posted I now see exactly what you were referring to!

The 'rubber' part of the hornpad that you show does not have a central projection missing - the hole in the centre of the plastic 'butterfly' accepts the 'rubber spring' that I talked about in my earlier post. It serves to return the hornpad to its resting position after the horn has been 'honked'.

The plastic horn 'butterfly' was a part specific to the early RS Carreras (built prior to 6th Feb 1973) - I thought it was used on the Lightweights only but am not certain on this - & was replaced after this date with the standard metal-framed 'butterfly as used on the contemporary 911 (& 914). Thus you can use the complete hornpad from a 911 or 914 steering wheel - it's a direct replacement.

Incidentally, if you check the part number stamped into the central alloy hub beneath the horn pad on your wheel you will probably find that it has a 914 part number.

Here are some pictures showing the corresponding parts from a 914 steering wheel:

Andy
    '69 911E---------->R
    Andy,

I hadn't taken the plastic 'butterfly' off so I made the wrong assumption about the design of the rubber piece. Thanks for the explanation and part number.

I can see why those plastic butterfly pieces are so hard to come by if they were only used up to early Feb. '73. I will have to figure out a way to repair the cracked left side. I'm sure I would never find another one. My car is #451 and the build date is early Jan. '73 so it makes sense this would have been original to my car. Here I thought some other person used glue to put it back on. The one you show looks exactly the same. Thanks again.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299