Thread: Should I keep my old rims or sell em?

Should I keep my old rims or sell em?

I have five 4.5"x15" chrome steel wheels, all in exceptional condition, all came with a very original car, and all stamped 2/67.

That seems like a late production date for my car. Storage is not really a problem. but I just cannot imagine a future use for them.

Are they are correct, should I keep them or sell them for market value? And the last question, or course, what are they worth?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and experience, Shawn.

Edit: Just checked the spare, oops...it is stamped 11/66. Hmmm.
    67 coupe roller
    99 M96 2.5 litre
    early911s reg 447
    R Gruppe 399

Jared Rundell - Registered User JCR's Avatar
    You'll be so-rry!
    Jared
    '73 911S #0793
    '69 912_ #0602
    Early S #0454
    RGruppe #0391

I'd suggest keeping them. I kind of wish I had my original 6" fuchs back...just in case I wanted to go to the "original" look from time to time, but not badly enough to now pay for each wheel what I sold the set for. But heck, what do I know? When I got a set of 6" fuchs for my then new '70T, I gave the chrome steelies to a friend. He still has them on his '67 912...
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Dated stuff is what the 356 guys are always hunting! I say keep them; they don't take up much space and for car "resale" in the future they will make a nice marketing item. "Car comes with the original date coded wheels".
    Spray them with something like WD40, bag em up and stick them some place out of the way. You'll never regret it.
    If necessary at some point down the road you might sell them to a buyer for the "right" price . Somebody will want them for the dating and for being a matched set. For now, "deep six" them in a closet.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Yeah, you guys are right.

I'll will store them away. Just for once tho, it would have been nice to see the car throw a little cash my way rather than the normal cash flow direction.

Shawn.
    67 coupe roller
    99 M96 2.5 litre
    early911s reg 447
    R Gruppe 399

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    I would urge you to keep the original wheels. If your car is largely original they could make a big difference in value someday. I have the original wheels and a set of 5.5" Fuchs for my '65 and I definitely don't regret hanging on to them.

I think I've seen steel wheels from $25 to maybe $50 at swap meets. But, rechroming will cost $125 to $150, maybe more.

I don't know exactly what you mean by "exceptional condition" is that "exceptional considering their age" or "exceptional by concours restoration standards?" If they're really, really nice, you can probably sell them for half what it will cost to get a set back. Murphy's law probably covers that.

Jim Alton
    '65 Porsche 911

not concour condition

When I describe the wheels as exceptional I mean just that. They are the exception to what you will normally see on a unrestored 36 year old "driver'. The car and wheels are truely in wonderful shape.

Concour condition? No. The inside of the glove box might be, but that's it.

Shawn.
    67 coupe roller
    99 M96 2.5 litre
    early911s reg 447
    R Gruppe 399

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    I wasn't guessing when I estimated $125 and up to rechrome a Porsche wheel. I keep the steel wheels for show, so...

Still, having the original wheels should add to the value of your car (if and when that becomes important). It might not be the factor having a set of 4.5" Fuchs for a '67 911S would be, but originality always adds value.

Lightbulb Think....

of how bummed you'll be in the future. It's gonna happen...you'll sell & wish you still had 'em in a year or two...

Keep 'em !!!
    Johnny Riz
    73E euro 3.2 w. a few goodies
    Rgrp 152
    S Reg 335