Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Points Gap, dwell & timing?

Points Gap, dwell & timing?

I've been experiencing a bouncing tach as the revs increase. The other day I experienced a sudden power sut-down, for only a second or two. Tach dropped like a stone, all electrical power seemed to be off, like somebody threw a switch. Then the car started right up again. Pulled the distributor cap, cranked the engine through by hand. Points are at MUCH less than the .016 the book calls for, couldn't detect them opening at all.. Called mechanic...he told me he doesn't pay much attention to points gap, but worries more about correct dwell. Okay, now I'm wondering... I have neither a dwell meter or a timing light, wouldn't feel confident using them if I did. I do feel I could set the points to .016 without extending my limited skills too much. I'm beginning to think these too close points could be the cause of the bouncing tach and the sudden shut down. Question? If I set the points to .016, & clean them by running clean paper through them, and change NO other settings, could I hurt the engine by changing the timing or dwell? Oh...the car seemed to be running great, other than the sudden shutdown...
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Paul,

I saw your post on Pelican. I had a similar problem and rather than deal with points, I just installed a Pertronix unit. It's not quite original, but my tach stopped bouncing after that.
    Neil
    '73 911S targa

intertwined

as the points wear the timing changes. 0.001 of gap change will change the timing 2-3 degrees. if you can, just borrow a dwell meter and light. there is a specific way to hook up the dwell meter so the cdi is not harmed. you might do a search on this board. i posted that particular question. do search on that.....gotcha.

my mechanic had my cdi die on him. my car would not start and he replaced it with one out of his car. oops.
    72 911t * 74 914 2.0

decision made

Called Jeff Gamroth this morning...I'm going to join the breakerless ignition brigade. Since my original '72 distributor is one of those with the "backwards" points, I'm going with a new RS distributor, breakerless opically triggered. It'll go in sometime next week...
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

are the optical trigger units able to work with the cdi? will you have to use a conventional coil and a mds/hyfire/crane box? my opinion but i would stick with the stock set up for just street car...
    72 911t * 74 914 2.0

According to Jeff Gamroth, all will work out well. What do I know? He's a crew chief for the folks who won GT in the ALS series race @ Road Atlanta. I'm just an enthusiast of 30+ years who has won only local yuk trophies, none of which were racing. Just auto-x, rally, and concours. Sometimes, you just have to trust? Still...I'm going to keep the old dizzy...ok?

Paul,

It wouldn't hurt to clean the connectors between the CD box and the dizzy. I've had dirty or loose connectors do the same thing. i.e. temporary shutdown.
    Bobby
    71' Olive 2.2E Targa / Early S #491

I've always considered the glass to be half full...that is until I reached middle age and realized that it is actually half empty.

Thanks Bobby. Alas, already been there...alcohol, the final cleaning agent. Sometimes, after trying stuff for hours, you get tired of it, just want to write a check & solve the problem. Know what I mean? I call it the "just fix it" syndrome...

I know what you mean Paul. Unfortunently when I've done that in the past I end up regretting it because of the shortcuts that get taken. I end up re-doing work that I paid someone else to do.

It sounds like your in good hands however.
    Bobby
    71' Olive 2.2E Targa / Early S #491

I've always considered the glass to be half full...that is until I reached middle age and realized that it is actually half empty.

Re: decision made

Originally posted by pwd72s
    Called Jeff Gamroth this morning...I'm going to join the breakerless ignition brigade. Since my original '72 distributor is one of those with the "backwards" points, I'm going with a new RS distributor, breakerless opically triggered. It'll go in sometime next week...
    Now I want to hear more about this once it's done. Gives us the full skinny when the smoke clears.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111