Thread: speaker grill insert

speaker grill insert

I found this thread regarding the speaker grill insert I am looking for. It doesn't mention whether the insert is still available (mine is warped, cracked, and beyond recovery). Are my only options a recycled part or fabrication ?

Dash Thread

BTW, what was the original speaker size in that space, and what modern option exists ?

TIA
    http://www.classicvelocity.com
    70 911T Targa
    70 911E
    73 914

If you go flying back through time and you see somebody else flying forward into the future, it's probably best to avoid eye contact....

You might send "just dashes" a set of pics of your insert, ask them if they could remanufacture it...
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Jared Rundell - Registered User JCR's Avatar
    They're around, but not new as far as I know. Call Dave at Road & Race ( he posts here as msroadrace) or Parts Heaven for a nice used one.

They turn up on ebay... I need one too so don't snipe me!
    Jared
    '73 911S #0793
    '69 912_ #0602
    Early S #0454
    RGruppe #0391

JCR, it will be a dogfight if we find one. I'm willing to pay upwards of $57,000 for one in fair condition ;-)

Good luck hunting. If you find more than one someplace, let me know and I'll do the same.

ps: nice taste in cars !
    70 911T Targa
    70 911E
    73 914

If you go flying back through time and you see somebody else flying forward into the future, it's probably best to avoid eye contact....

Speaker Insert

Just Dashes just quoted $450 to rebuild the dash, $120 for the speaker insert (In black. Other colors for the dash the quote is $500).

Wit61, I've got a brand new one you can have for $47,000 thats a saving of $10,000 , that will get you a pretty nice paint job. Seriously though I do have one of these grills brand new OEM in the original Porsche package and I think the fair way to sell would be on Ebay. I will put it on and post the link in a couple of days.

Re: Speaker Insert

Originally posted by heirplane
    Just Dashes just quoted $450 to rebuild the dash, $120 for the speaker insert (In black. Other colors for the dash the quote is $500).

What can I say? Just dashes isn't cheap. But I do have a repaired dash and speaker grille done by them sitting in my home. It's all somebody else's property, I'm just a storage facility. But I do know what the original looked like...it wasn't good. The repaired pieces look like new. So, if you're willing to spend $xxx for a good speaker grille insert at a swap meet? Spending $120 for one done by "just dashes" may not be such a horrible deal. Just be prepared to double the waiting time they give you...
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Speaker Grill

Actually, their time estimate seemed quite close to what you mentioned, Paul. They said it would take about 8 weeks.

I hope that someday the car is nice enough to justify a $120 speaker grill ! If that is the going rate for new, I'll be evaluating "previously owned" options and Ebay...
    70 911T Targa
    70 911E
    73 914