Thread: Speaking of valves and deep sixes

Deep sixes on the track

I would like to mount a set of Hoosiers on a set of deep six wheels that I have for my 68. I have heard of possible problems on the track. Anyone with track experience and these wheels that can give me some insight? Also tire sizes for the stock narrow 68 body? Thanks for the help.

Best,

Don

Keep me in the loop please!!! I'm trying to find GOOD tires for my narrow-body '67. Can't seem to find any good ones....

Sprint.

Don-

I believe the issue with the deep sixes is that they were designed for tube-type tires, and don't have the retaining bead for tubeless types.

I have never used them for track rims, so I will defer to anyone with direct experience who responds, but nevertheless, I have read some discussions where people have said they have used them on the track with tubeless tires without any problems. However, it is possible that in an off-track incident you could put the kind of lateral stress on the tire which would push the tire bead sideways (inwards) and cause a total pressure loss. The result could be ugly. I have seen dirt and small pebbles jammed into the bead of a tubeless tire cause deflation even on the modern rims that were designed to prevent that, after going off into the dirt at the track.

With the premium the deep sixes are fetching, why use them for track rims, anyway? Save them for the street and get some newer 7" Fuchs (or cheap 7" cookie cutters) to use for your track wheels. They will fit the narrow body early cars with a 205/50-15 tire with a little tweaking, and give far better sidewall support because of the extra width, while offering the bead locking desired for tubeless tires.

Just my $.02,
    TT

ps: Sprint- define what you mean by "good ones". There are lots of tires available for different purposes. I run Michelin 205/60-15 Pilots on 6" Fuchs on the street with my '67S, and Falken Azenis (RS Sport) in 205/50-15 on 7" cookie cutters on the track. Much cheaper and longer lasting than Hoosiers, but not as fast. Kumho makes a V700 in 205/50-15 which is in between the two as far as grip and durability goes.
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

I use my "deep 6" wheels on my 67S for vintage & PCA Club racing all the time.

I presently have Yoko A008RS 195X60X15 tires on them and they work very well(no tubes).

Still looking for a 205X60X15 competition tire to use in the "Vintage" races.

I have a set of "deep 6" wheels on my street car with 205X60X15 Dunlop tires(no tubes) and no problems.

When the Dunlops wear out, I will probably replace with Yoko AVS ES100 205X60X15.

Originally posted by ttweed
    get some newer 7" Fuchs (or cheap 7" cookie cutters) to use for your track wheels. They will fit the narrow body early cars with a 205/50-15 tire with a little tweaking, and give far better sidewall support because of the extra width, while offering the bead locking desired for tubeless tires.

Just my $.02,
    TT

ps: Sprint- define what you mean by "good ones". There are lots of tires available for different purposes. I run Michelin 205/60-15 Pilots on 6" Fuchs on the street with my '67S, and Falken Azenis (RS Sport) in 205/50-15 on 7" cookie cutters on the track. Much cheaper and longer lasting than Hoosiers, but not as fast. Kumho makes a V700 in 205/50-15 which is in between the two as far as grip and durability goes.
    I agree on the 205/50 15 tires as I've tried 205/55 15 on the rear of my Katie (RHD '67S). They doin't rub, but look kinda low profile and another con is that the rolling cirumference is now smaller... Meaning I need more RPMs for same road speed.

By good, I mean stuff like Bridgestone's SO-3 Kumho's V700. Compound that gives pure grip. I'm not worried about wear, ever though she's a street. The added grip is so much more assuring.

An example to prove my point. I used to run passenger car grade Michellins (ya know, the save fuel, low wear rate stuff) on all 4 wheels and Katie would oversteer at each turn when I stab the throttle for fun. Then I put SO-3 on 16" x 6" Fuchs (205/55 15) and manz, the rear grips so tight now that her front end pushes (understeers). Those are good tires! But 16" Fuchs are ugly (doesn't look the part on an early car.... IMHO.

Sprint.

ya, all the popular, readily available competition tires in 205 width seem to be 50 series aspect ratio (kumho/hoosier/yoko, etc.).

I've never really looked into it, since a low profile suits my purposes fine for autox, but don't Dunlop or Avon make something suitable for the vintage crowd, or possibly for the odd street user like SprintStar who wants a stickier, higher profile tire?

Maybe these guys could help track something down?

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Read my surf novel!

ya, all the popular, readily available competition tires in 205 width seem to be 50 series aspect ratio (kumho/hoosier/yoko, etc.).

I've never really looked into it, since a low profile suits my purposes fine for autox, but don't Dunlop or Avon make something suitable for the vintage crowd, or possibly for the odd street user like SprintStar who wants a stickier, higher profile tire?

Maybe these guys could help track something down?

TT
    Odd?!?! I'm not ODD!! Just weird, I guess! Haha...

Anyway, will check out the site you sent. I wonder if the 'vintage' tires run modern compounds. Stuff like S0-3 is great.... Just no sizes for me. Pity!

Hey, you got any pics of how the low profiles look on your ride?

Sprint.

Originally posted by SprintStar
    Hey, you got any pics of how the low profiles look on your ride?
    I posted one of my '67S with the autox setup in this earlier thread

Exposure is pretty poor in that pic so it's hard to see the edge of the tires in the dark wheel well, but needless to say, the low profile does NOT fill up the wheel well.

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Read my surf novel!

I posted one of my '67S with the autox setup in this earlier thread

Exposure is pretty poor in that pic so it's hard to see the edge of the tires in the dark wheel well, but needless to say, the low profile does NOT fill up the wheel well.

TT
    Pretty in white! Now, I can't wait to get on the track with my '67S. I miss last Friday's session with some AROC guys....

Hey anyone knows? What size tires did they run on the 911R? They sure look big!

Sprint.