Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuel gauge....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Fuel gauge....

Hello All,

I want to check if my fuel gauge is functioning 100%. I can't seem to pump to full. About a whisker shy of 4/4, I get fuel spilling out from the below.

Is there a way to ground the sender, besides removing it and inverting it? I just put in a new gasket. The old one was too thick, the new one seems to help but hey... Blame me for wanting to be perfect! Haha....

Thanks!

Sprint.

I'm not sure you'd want to remove the sender/float assembly again...but one way to test is to move the float up & down while it's out of the tank, have somebody watch the gauge. An analysis tip given to my by a pro...
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

No more vapor smell.. Don't want to mess with the seal again!!!

Hehe.. The new seal fixed all the ugly fuel smells Katie had. No way I want to pull it out again! And the seal was expensive to boot....

Was wondering if I can ground it like on my VWs and watch it deflect... Hehe...

Fill 'er up.

I filled my tank yesterday...wound up with the needle *just* under the 4/4 mark......

On the other hand, when I fill my Toyota, it goes "over" the full mark. So...which is better, really?...the conservative or the impossible?

Per

Normal

Sprint Star,
    My needle also does not go to the top of the full gauge when the tank is full. It's normal.
    The most important thing is that the needle shows empty accurately!

Hoho... Mine drops from 4/4 to 3/4 too damn fast for me to believe.... Anyway, what kind of mileage are you getting? My '67S hardly gets 15mpg.... She damn thirsty!

Sprint.

Jared Rundell - Registered User JCR's Avatar
    My needle fills to just below the full mark.

My car has Webers, I get similar mileage
    Jared
    '73 911S #0793
    '69 912_ #0602
    Early S #0454
    RGruppe #0391

Hehe... Are we talking US or UK gallons here? Opps... I think I"m getting only 12MPG on my Webers... *groan*

Sprint.

How hard are you driving it?

Sprint,
    Are you doing alot of city driving and/or are you driving it hard? It makes a big difference. The Peter Morgan book says that a hard driven 2.4S will only get appr 15mpg - and that's with the MFI set-up. Webers are suppossed to be worse.
    If you are hung up on mpg, buy a small lightweight 4 cylinder car for day to day jaunts, and only drive the 911 for fun. Better yet, buy a 356 or 912!

With my 73' 2.4-S the very best was... In 5th for a full tank at the speed limit coming down the 5 on a holiday Sunday ... Just-a tick over 20MPG

The worst, of course, is at the track... just about 9 if I'm lucky

Usually about 15-17 around town...

We'll see if the new motor makes a difference one way or the other...
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter