Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fuel gauge....

Hate to clue you here, Chuck..but by going to 2.7, mileage will be worse. Going to Cambria, '01...when I still had 1/3 tank left in my 2.4, (I ran point)..Tom Wilkinson would pull alongside in his beautiful Orange MFI 2.7, pointing to his gas flap... I learned, after a couple of these happenings, that if I had 1/3 tank left, Tom was nearing M.T. I thereafter planned the fuel/rest stops accordingly...Hey, we needed to stay together, right??? Besides, Tom and the others were kind enough to wait while I repaired a loose gas box line in a rest area somewhere south of Bakersfield. Tit for Tat..
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Well Paul, if that's da-deal...

Then between the S and the Malbiu (the champ gas swine) I'll have to get another friggin job...
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Chuck, assuming the rebuild goes right? I'm thinking the reduced fuel mileage won't bother you much. Malibu mileage? Hoot! Try feeding a Dodge Powerwagon these days...6-8 mpg...maybe 10 cruising the interstate at 60.
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Re: How hard are you driving it?

Originally posted by garth wagner
    Sprint,
    Are you doing alot of city driving and/or are you driving it hard? It makes a big difference. The Peter Morgan book says that a hard driven 2.4S will only get appr 15mpg - and that's with the MFI set-up. Webers are suppossed to be worse.
    If you are hung up on mpg, buy a small lightweight 4 cylinder car for day to day jaunts, and only drive the 911 for fun. Better yet, buy a 356 or 912!
    Singapore is city... So I guess I'm talking urban cycle with some highway thrown in. About 80% city, 20% highway.

I'm not complaining about gas. Just curious what the rest are getting... Hehe.. Wish I could afford a 356 or 912 locally. Hen's teeth!

I have 2 aircooled VW Bugs though. Still addicted to them, which is why I got my 911!

Sprint.

Hey Chuck,
    How long did a tank of gas last you on the Cambria run? You were able to make it up there on one tank, weren't you? I would stop in SLO for gas, but I'm sure that I could've made it another 30 miles (or so) to Cambria, in spite of the rush hour 101 traffic and being 20 miles east of you. I have the gas receipts/mpg in the glovebox... but then, that's with a stock, 'low compress' (8.5) 2.7 ... weighted down with those front end bumperettes.... If you find out that your mpg isn't worth that extra 9.5 compress/ power, I'm sure we could work out some sorta trade.... Ha!

Hehe... Going a bit off topic, but I'm so jealous of my galfriend! She has a 924 Turbo and it makes about the same power as my '67S but boy... That Dude sips petrol while my Katie think gas comes in a Super Big Gulp cup!

She heads for the petrol station once a week whereas for me, it's a twice weekly affair...

Sprint.