Thread: Old school gauges..how hard to switch?

Old school gauges..how hard to switch?

While I was out snorting around yesterday (snorting, because the MFI is still a little "off"), I came across an early swb 912 that was slowly returning to the elements. it's about 100 yards from the Atlantic ocean, so it's pretty crusty...anyway, I noticed that it had the very cool earlier style gauges.

How hard is it to switch over all of the gauges to this type? Can I use any from this 912 (assuming that I can get parts from it)

Thanks

Oh, and I weighed the car last week, with only a bit of gas in it, it came out at 2216. Less than I was expecting.

Per

gauge swapping on early 911/912's

Yes, the early gauges from 66-67 should be usable for 1968-73 911/912 cars. However, they are a PITA to install because they have to be mounted from inside the trunk vs. the later style gauges which could be pulled out from inside the cockpit of the car and replaced very easily. I have had to replace a few of mine on my 67 911 and I never relish having to go into the trunk with a flashlight trying to fumble thru the bundles of wires. The 69-73 gauges are also easier to find in the used parts bins. My advice. Stick with what you have. It's not worth the headache unless its original.
    I agree that the old ones with the chrome bezels and green numbering are cool though! I bought a rare combo oil pressure/oil temp gauge stated in German with about 6 months ago. It is in mint condition. Next time I need to get into the gauge wires, it's going in.

Can't you just use the new style rubber rings with the old (chrome bezel) gauges? They're the same size aren't they? Why wouldn't this work?

Halfway in between.

My car actually has the late style gauges, but they mount from the back (early 69) so...I've got to go in there anyway to take them out and clean them.

The tach is about the only thing I could see that would obviously not work from the 912.

Per

Another option? N. Hollywood could give your current gauges the old style look...
    Paul D. Early S Registry #8 - Cyclops Minister of West Coast Affairs
    "Now, to put a water-cooled engine in the rear and to have the radiator in the front, that's not very intelligent." -Ferry Porsche (PANO, Oct. 1973)

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    I thought the diameters were slightly changed between the original style and later style gauges. Then again, maybe the difference is the thickness of the later style gasket.

If the gauges are free grab them. If not, maybe a call to North Hollywood or Palo Alto can give you a correct answer.

They are the same size and they both are inserted from the interior side of the dash.

The difference is that the old style have clamps that are screwed down from the trunk side. PIA

You can take off the clamps and just add the rubber gaskets and pop them in from the interior side.

This picture shows both types. The one on the left is the early style with brackets. the one on the right is later of course with the gasket.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Bobby
    71' Olive 2.2E Targa / Early S #491

I've always considered the glass to be half full...that is until I reached middle age and realized that it is actually half empty.

I'm kinda partial to the early style myself.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Bobby
    71' Olive 2.2E Targa / Early S #491

I've always considered the glass to be half full...that is until I reached middle age and realized that it is actually half empty.

Me too.

The old style has a nice vintage look, vs the "new" style is kinda impersonal. Weird how a gauge can have those attributes.

I noticed that Palo Alto offers those conversions as well. Any idea how much they charge to change, or should I just find a set of used ones and have them clean them up....?

Per