Thread: Doh, I'm retarded.

Doh, I'm retarded.

I bet you could all hear the hollow knocking sound last night, that was me smacking my head with my palm. I've been trying to solve a low speed bog, generalized malaise of the 911E. While I've been running around with it (and having a blast) I've had to really feather the throttle to get it going off of idle, otherwise, sputter, cough, etc.

Didn't seem to be mixture, throttle, points, sparkplugs, etc. related. A friend of mine that used to work at the 901 Shop (and now builds some kick ass Spec Miatas) asked the usual questions...timing? sure. points? sure...etc.

Last night i realized that I had set the timing very early in this car's resurrection, before I had the throttles correlated and the points adjusted correctly or even the idle close to what it should have been. Of course, that "timing" question was closed off in my head, because I had "done that".

Yep, nearly 15 degrees ATDC. I'm surprised it still ran.

"You, sir, with the 911, put down the tools and slowly back away!"
    Per

Sometimes it's easy to overlook the simple things, Per. Now that you've got the timing advance correct, check that you are getting WOT when the gas pedal is to the floor. This simple adjustment of the throttle linkage can be an amazing source of free HP.

TT
    ps- thanks for documenting your project for the enthusiasts on this board.
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

Thanks..

It's a fun project, I personally like the detective work necessary to work on cars...and I also like cutting, welding and painting, so to me, a good project is one that requires work.

While I'm not quite as nuts as some of the british car enthusiasts that I've known ("I had a firewall and a lugnut, so I used it to restore this Humber Super Snipe from the ground up, using an english wheel and a potato")...the project has been a nice mix of cleaning, fixing and wrenching.

Now that I've got things more in line, I'm going to put it on a 4-gas and see if my nose and seat o' the pants match reality.

Per
    http://www.classicmotorsports.net