Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Numbers everywhere - need help with ID'ing parts

Question Numbers everywhere - need help with ID'ing parts

Could someone point me to reference areas or websites where I could identify things such as:

Engines
    Chasis
    Vin #
    Color codes

I have a non original engine in my car and wanted to know the exact type of motor it is - also beleive the car has been painted and wondered on its original color...chasis is for cross checking

For Vin # I saw an old posting which I cant find, that showed all the actual Vins and corresponding type.

I am trying to get the full "story" on my car and any potential help is appreciated.

Stuart

It's as easy for you to post the VIN. engine serial and type numbers, and colour code here. It'll take a few minutes to get the answers from the books

Other wise

Colour codes : http://members.rennlist.com/tweedt/glasurit.htm
    VIN: http://www.mindspring.com/~blained/vintage.html
    Nick Moss - Early 911S #476 - RGruppe #318 - early911.co.uk

Codes

Vin 9113301103
    Engine *6331765
    Engine Cowl 901 106 101 5R
    Engine lower right side next to exhaust 901 105 11.0R
    Color 329-9-2 from drivers door

I am sure I will find more...could find the chasis number under the bonnet yet - but I will.

The car has been converted.

Thanks for the help!

VIN: 1973 911S Coupe
    Engine #: 1973 911S
    Paint: Oxford Blue
    Nick Moss - Early 911S #476 - RGruppe #318 - early911.co.uk

Re: Codes

Originally posted by Stuart
    Engine Cowl 901 106 101 5R
    Engine lower right side next to exhaust 901 105 11.0R
    These two are just part numbers on the castings. They are not unique to your car.

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

Thanks Nick and TT for the input.

Is it possible to determine if the numbers match from what I have?

Oxford Blue...? Well it isnt Oxford Blue - but it is a blue of sorts. I was told by the prior owner (I am the third) the color was custom at the factory - special order. Anyone able to shed some light on the possibility of that?

I have been around cars for awhile and can say that unless they stipped the whole car -entirely- to bare metal and started from scratch - this is a custom color as it is everywhere...under the hood - under the carpet...everywhere.

Thanks guys - you rock

Originally posted by Stuart
    Thanks Nick and TT for the input.

Is it possible to determine if the numbers match from what I have?
    Stuart,

Only way to know for sure is to order a Certificate of Authenticity from PCA. Here is a tread that discussed this very issue. You may have to go back to page three of the tread to get all the info.

Discussion of CoA

It will cost around $100 to obtain the document. Open up the PDF file for a discription what information they provide and how to order one for your car.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Registry member# 206 fourteenten's Avatar

Color 329-9-2

The color you mention is (in German) See Blau. Translated Sea Blue, but Porsche might call that Oxford Blue. My RS has the same color code, see pic for comparison.

Great looking car. What number is your RS? Any other pictures? I don't think I've seen an RS that color before.
    Brian

'71T
    R Gruppe #299

Registry member# 206 fourteenten's Avatar
    #1410. I don't have any other pictures with me out here (some where in the South Chinese Sea on a drilling rig, no race track on board). Haven't seen either RS's in this color, just pictures.