Thread: Started the project today

Started the project today

Recently, I purchased sight unseen a complete nos. matching '71 S. I say complete, but there are some issues. The rear bumper is from a mid year 911 and it has a Porsche reflector attached rather uniquely. And the original deck lid has been replaced with an early whale tail. The gripe here is that I don't have the 911S letters; decks and early bumpers seem easy to come by.

Oh, and did I mention it doesn't run? Well, I started the long tedious process of bringing the old girl back to life. MFI butterflies were stuck closed. Got that rectified. Sprayed stuff in the clys (I made a concoction) and it truns over freely by hand.

Next is to clean out entire fuel system and put some fresh oil in for a spin up with the coil disconnected and plugs out. I'll hopefully be able to see if the MFI pump is functioning.

Then on th the big moment. I'll keep you posted.

PS: Suggestions are welcome, I can't remember everything all by myself. I'll be at the GermanAF Sat looking in the swap area and ogleing the RGruppemobiles

I've done the same thing with my T. The biggest things to watch out for? Depending on how long it's been sitting there are a few things to watch out for.

I had a major problem with mice nests everywhere, on top of the cylinders, in the center tunnel, in the smugglers box, just about everywhere.

I also had gas in the cylinders AND in the oil. Watch out for both.

There are a million other things to watch out for but both of these could be catasrophic and burn up your engine in seconds.
    Tim
    1973 T

Yeah!!!

Go Milt Go!!!

The letters can be ordered from Tweeks so no problem there. They should be Gold for 71'. Silver on the glove box. The deck lid unfortunently should be aluminum for a 71'S. Hard to find and very expensive. I saw one advertised in the last Excellence for $200. I immediately called and called... leaving messages with no return calls. Seems the seller may have realized he under valued it.
    The rear valance should also be aluminum but you can pick up repros in the $50 area.

The matching numbers is a nice perk.

Where did you find the car?
    Bobby
    71' Olive 2.2E Targa / Early S #491

I've always considered the glass to be half full...that is until I reached middle age and realized that it is actually half empty.

"Where did you find the car?"

A poster came on to the Pelican site looking for advice and indicated that he might sell. I jumped on him like a duck on a June bug. The car was in Kentucky and apparently has been since arriving in the USA from a Spain Delivery. Been parked for awhile; the info on how long is not been too forthcoming. As to why, that I will probably find out soon enough as I go throught he systems one by one.

I had the car shipped and it got here over the Labor Day weekend. I paid $5000 for it after a casual local inspection by a couple of Pelicanheads. I will post some pics soon and some more info if and when I discover just exactly what problems the car has.

It's all there except for aforementioned rear end mods. Sport seats, door pockets, everything original and pretty tattered. Body is sound, inner rocker should be done as well as the front most area of the trunk floor. Inside floor pans are near perfect. I'm afraid to look at the package tray, but ares below by the jump seats are excellent as well. Door jambs are solid.

Like I said, more later.

Sounds like you did well considering the completeness matching #s and sport seats.

My 71'S seems to have been in similar condition. Rust wise it was good except for the inner rockers so I replaced them along with outer rockers. Suspension pan had surface rust but was otherwise solid.

I don't have the original tranny though.

The sport seats were standard for 71'S but my car unfortunently has regular seats as an option.

I bought some sport seats anyway. The regular seats look nice but they just don't give you the support you need in spirited driving.

Good Luck
    Bobby
    71' Olive 2.2E Targa / Early S #491

I've always considered the glass to be half full...that is until I reached middle age and realized that it is actually half empty.

Day 3: Well, it runs and runs nicely on stands. Tranny shifts and no noise there. I have absolutely NO brakes, so I get to do those next. The tires are all dangerous as they are old and worn. I have deep 6" Fuchs and I'm thinking 205/60/15 all the way around. What's a good tire for the street these days? I doubt if I'll track this car, I have a race car for that.

Originally posted by Zeke
    Day 3: Well, it runs and runs nicely on stands. Tranny shifts and no noise there. I have absolutely NO brakes, so I get to do those next. The tires are all dangerous as they are old and worn. I have deep 6" Fuchs and I'm thinking 205/60/15 all the way around. What's a good tire for the street these days? I doubt if I'll track this car, I have a race car for that.
    Hi Milt,
    sounds like a great project.

As far as tires, I am running Toyo H4 Proxes (M+S) tires. They seem ok for the street. With a 400 treadwear rating, nothing to write home about on the track.

Hope you got the brakes going.
    Harry

Member #789
    1970 VW Sunroof Kombi Bus - "The Magic Bus"
    1973.5 911T Targa for fun - "Smokey"
    2009 MB C300