Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Rare Early Options

Sorry; I am still half asleep. this early Sunday morning. I meant to say my car has the locking steering wheel option as well. as the other options I listed previously. Or is this standard as this is my first 911. ?

Locking Steering Wheel

I wouldn't consider Locking Steering Wheel an option. Pretty much every auto company put it on their cars as a theft preventative measure. I don't think that it was something that you had the choice of ordering. It is kind of like locking ignition. It just came that way.

larry
    Early 911S Registry Member #537

73 - Viper Green 911E Targa - Kermit - Gone but not forgotten

Kermit's Short Story and Pix on the 911E Website

06 - Lexus IS250 MT6
    98 - Volvo 70V XC

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    My main source on options is an options catalog printed for the '66 model year. That and Dr. Johnson's book.

I'm mystified by the "heated rear window option" As far as I know, all short wheelbase cars sent some heated air from the exhaust heat exchangers to the rear window. I never heard of an electrically heated rear window (if that's what you're referring to), and can't imagine why Porsche would have offered a second way of heating the rear window.

According to Dr. Johnson, "For the U.S. and right-hand steering versions, a switch without a steering column lock was used, while the rest of the world received a switch combined with a column lock." My '65 was delivered in Germany and soon came to the U.S. It has a steering column lock. The only optional "lock" in the '66 options book is a locking radio aerial.

I can tell you what the original harness looks like: The pair that came with my car look a lot like the drawings in the parts book. The buckle is a pretty standard looking chrome thing, and there is no Porsche crest. The inboard end fastens to the eyebolt with a big clip, and the top of the harness clips to a "mushroom" on the rear sidewall. The lower outboard mount is a couple of pieces of sheetmetal that form a sort of sliding buckle on the webbing. That attachment doesn't really look like it matches the the other clips.

Jim Alton

My car has the Electrical wires in the glass , rear window deffoger ; as well as the blower vents. The knob on the dash is the type with light in it. This car was a European delivered car, so that may explain all the extras it came with.

Peter Aziz

My 73"S" came with the following:

leather interior, including sport seats
    pw
    power sunroof
    Koni's
    dealer a/c
    dealer added H1's
    front loop cooler
    100 litre tank
    chrome engine compartment light
    LSD
    ugly front and rear bumperettes
    optional electric air pump
    rear speaker enclosure
    Green tinted glass
    rear window defroster (2 phase)

Probably missed a few, but it pretty much has everything except the rear window wiper that is outwardly noticable.

Thanks,

Marc

Originally posted by marcw58
    My 73"S" came with the following:

front loop cooler

Probably missed a few, but it pretty much has everything except the rear window wiper that is outwardly noticable.

Thanks,

Marc
    wasn't this standard on all "S" models?

Or is it a different type of cooler? As I understand it, the "S" had an additional front cooler that the T and E did not have.

This is turning into a great thread, BTW.

Thanks,

J73

Wow Marc, your car's a bloated pig!

The oil cooler was optional in '73. What's the air pump for? Emissions?

Edit- air pump is for the spare, right?
    Neil
    '73 911S targa

Jared Rundell - Registered User JCR's Avatar
    Originally posted by Josh73
    wasn't this standard on all "S" models?
    Not in 73 - my S came with no front cooler, but with factory AC. You couldn't get both.

I thought all rear speaker enclosures were aftermarket... Guess I just learnded somethin' new! I'd like to see a pic if possible.
    Jared
    '73 911S #0793
    '69 912_ #0602
    Early S #0454
    RGruppe #0391

Originally posted by JCR
    Not in 73 - my S came with no front cooler, but with factory AC. You couldn't get both.

I guess you learn something new everyday.

If an S had DEALER installed A/C, would it also have the front Oil Cooler? Or is this where the A/C parts would have resided?

Originally posted by JCR
    I don't think this is true. My 73 came with both. My 72 had no cooler, but dealer-installed AC.