Thread: Need rear deck lid help

Need rear deck lid help

My 911 has some kind of fiberglass tail:
    http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploa...1062815313.jpg
    I want a stock lid. Now I know that the stock lid was probably aluminum, but I would be satisfied with steel. Question is, which years are going to have the correct holes drilled? What years had the "PORSCHE" script at the bottom? And will a lid from a mid year car work? The 911S script is wrong, but maybe the gold script from my year will cover the holes. Help! And, of course, thanks.

70'-73' would be the ones to use. The earlier lids had the same holes for the letters but the grill fastened differently because it was a different design. As matter of fact the grills from 70-73 are the same except that in 70/71 they were chrome anodized and in 72/73 they were black anodized. The anodizing can be stripped and replated by the way.

In 74' the P O R S C H E letters at the bottom went away.
    Bobby
    71' Olive 2.2E Targa / Early S #491

I've always considered the glass to be half full...that is until I reached middle age and realized that it is actually half empty.

The later models ('74-on) also differed in that they didn't have the rectangular holes for the rear license plate lights.

Andy
    '69 911E------>R

This is great. I thank you for the excellent info. I will pursue the correct lid.

Also note,, that the lids differed after Feb 1973... on the underside... That is , if your really picky and want it correct...

Robert......

Robert,

Can you please explain how the post Feb. '73 lids are different? My '73S (May build) has an aluminum deck lid for some reason and I'd like to see if I can tell whether the lid was built in '73 or added on at a later date. Looking at the paint, it looks stock to me.
    Neil
    '73 911S targa

Well,,, the aluminum lids never changed... Lots of arguements out there about the 73 model year and alu lids..... as the parts manual state they weren't made available for the T E S... But they did come on RS's .... And my 39K mile 73 S also did... my only reasoning for it was that it also came with a rear wiper... and every so often you here of the odd S with a alloy lid... Certainly not common... If the Paint looks original under the lid,,, 99% sure your car came with it...

In feb 73,, the subframe stamping changed for the steel lid... It had a small emboss on the left hand side, about 4" up from the bottom along the rail... This was for a sort of switch and contact..Other than that,,, the rest of the lid is identical back to 69"
    Hope this helps..
    Robert..

How does one tell , on a painted lid, if it is aluminium or steel? I thought that on my 67 S the lid was steel...maybe its aluminium?
    Michael
    '56 T-1 356 bent window coupe...
    68 911L Burgandy Red R Gruppe #388
    72 911S Coupe, Sepia Brown

Aluminum Lid

Michael, use a magnet.

Bob

Duhhh...well, guess I could... Happy driving
    Michael
    '56 T-1 356 bent window coupe...
    68 911L Burgandy Red R Gruppe #388
    72 911S Coupe, Sepia Brown