Thread: I need some reading recommendations

I need some reading recommendations

I am considering small displacement increases and other performance upgrades. Other than Bruce Andersons book, are there any others that address specifically the early race cars and engines. I am currently entertaining the idea of a short stroke 2.5 ST engine...or along those lines.

Any suggestions other than the usual 3.0 or larger engine installation. I need some good books, good page turners are much easier than bugging engine builders that I do not know.

Thanks guys, Shawn.
    67 coupe roller
    99 M96 2.5 litre
    early911s reg 447
    R Gruppe 399

Other than Bruce's book Wayne's Rebuild book would be about it. You might just make some posts here and on the Pelican site to get some feedback.

I'll throw an idea at you. Since your considering a 2.5 motor how about a shortstroke 2.6. The spigot size would be the same (97mm) as well as the crank and rods (66mm) for the 2.5 but you could start with a used set of 90mm cylinders Alusil or Nikasil and bore them out to 92mm replate and install some high compression JE pistons to get a 2.6 motor. Keep the S cams and switch to some 2.2/2.4/2.7 heads (46i 40e) ported to 36mm. Sort of a shortstroke RS motor. Or better yet get the 93mm Mahle P+C set (2.9 on a 70.4mm crank) so you would actually have a 2.7 short stroke motor.
    Bobby
    71' Olive 2.2E Targa / Early S #491

I've always considered the glass to be half full...that is until I reached middle age and realized that it is actually half empty.

thanks bobby...

But I am researching this idea to attempt it with a 2.2 911T engine that I do not have yet. I hope to hear that the proposed purchase (donor) car is OK, and ship it to the Seattle area for the work.

Regardless of that particular car, I wanna give this a go.

No internal surgical work for my current p car. Not planning to mess with the little dripper just yet.

Carburation and internal cooling are two of many questions regarding this (ad)venture. Combustion issues, piston shaping, and head work are adding up to many $$$. I just want to test the waters of feasability before I invest poorly just to hear it.

And, I do want to hear a carburated 2.5 liter short stroke howl...I think it may be sweet. Really sweet.

I have this, early car, period correct thing that demands that I attempt to recreate these obscure, out of date, engines before I just go with the norm and install a larger, and improved engine.

I like the real early cars, the ones with 901 trans. I like the chrome and the crappy radios. I like the pre A/C cars and the non S trim. Give me the perlon floors, non sun-roof, pre MFI, and weber only cars....I love them.

Shawn.

Edit: Oh, and it is a 70T engine...pre early mag case squirters, zenith carbed, and cheap internal parts, challenged little unit.
    67 coupe roller
    99 M96 2.5 litre
    early911s reg 447
    R Gruppe 399

The non case squirter thing could be a big problem. Nikasil cylinders need the squirters to keep the piston cool. They either need to be installed ($$) or you need a different case. I do know of at least one person who's using the T crank (non counterweighted.

I think that your best bet for your case would finding a 2.7 case and use that. The case already has the spigots bored, squirters installed in addition to it being alot stronger.
    Tim
    1973 T

Thanks Tim...

Originally posted by l33t9eek
    The non case squirter thing could be a big problem. Nikasil cylinders need the squirters to keep the piston cool.
    This project's cost are increasing with each new reply. Bobby wants to see a 2.9 and now (I saw this coming, I was only hoping to hear differently) I need at least a 7R case.

Not want I wanted to hear, but we are making progress. I better not read twin plugging or side valve anything.

Shawn.
    67 coupe roller
    99 M96 2.5 litre
    early911s reg 447
    R Gruppe 399

OOO slide valve now you're talking

I have a 2.7 case and I'll let it go cheap if you need it. My crank was beat up on the flywheel end so I needed the crank out of the shortblock. The case is just taking up space right now.
    Tim
    1973 T

I like the real early cars, the ones with 901 trans. I like the chrome and the crappy radios. I like the pre A/C cars and the non S trim. Give me the perlon floors, non sun-roof, pre MFI, and weber only cars....I love them.
    Your talking my language with the exception of the pre-MFI weber only thing. I'm an MFI slut.

I'm also into the period correctness as I'm the type of fool who'll spend more money putting together a mag case MFI motor than just dropping in a 3.2EFI but, I also can't resist the "Erector Set" allure of the ability to mix and match Porsche motor bits. (i.e. Short stroke 2.7)
    Bobby
    71' Olive 2.2E Targa / Early S #491

I've always considered the glass to be half full...that is until I reached middle age and realized that it is actually half empty.

You might look at the Konradsheim Carrera RS book, at other older book on the RS's, and at Aichle's 911 engine book.

Mybet is you need to talk to some engine builders -- esp. ones who raced way back when, or who are into vintage racing now.

Slide valves are not good for street engines or vintage racers -- only if you can tear the engine down frequently to clean out the dirt will you be happy.