Thread: 67 911S ignition upgrades???

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question 67 911S ignition upgrades???

SO far my ignition system has remained stock (along with the rest of the car), but have been recently almost convinced to go with a MSD system and a breakerless set up in the distribuiter. I will be doing a tune up shortly and would like your input on this...
    Also, while im spending virtual money here...what are the favorite aftermarket aircleaner set-ups?

Thanks in advance
    Michael
    '56 T-1 356 bent window coupe...
    68 911L Burgandy Red R Gruppe #388
    72 911S Coupe, Sepia Brown

Do it. My '67S runs much better with the MSD 6AL and Jacobs ignitor. It used to foul plugs quickly before going to the CD box, and not having to set and change points is a blessing.

I wouldn't change to an aftermarket air filter unless I had to, though.

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

Originally posted by ttweed
    Do it. My '67S runs much better with the MSD 6AL and Jacobs ignitor. It used to foul plugs quickly before going to the CD box, and not having to set and change points is a blessing.

I wouldn't change to an aftermarket air filter unless I had to, though.

TT
    Do you have the wiring diagram for it? How do did you handle the tacho? Did you have to run extra wires for the tach adaptor or use the original wires?

I have the Crane XR700, so I'm pointless now. What does the Jacobs Ignitor do? Coil?

And where did you mount the MSD? Did you have to drill any holes? I'm terrified of drilling wrong holes.... Any pics you got?

Air filters... Not even water shields? I'm keen on getting them coz I've heard how good the carbs sound without the big olde air cleaner muffler the nice noises!

Thanks and have a nice weekend.

Sprint.

From what I understand, the MSD does not replace the coil...just adds a CD unit to the car (post 68s had Bosche CD units I think). Therefore, the wiring for the tach should not be a problem. Alhough, these were my original questions. I am going to order the unit on Monday...as for the replacing the point system...not sure which ones are better...any ideas? I, too, am interested in the less muffled sound of an other than stock set up in air cleaners. Although, I am more interested in keeping bad stuff out of my engine. So, if the stock is the only system that is effective at that then there ya go.
    Michael

Originally posted by mjmoran
    From what I understand, the MSD does not replace the coil...just adds a CD unit to the car (post 68s had Bosche CD units I think). Therefore, the wiring for the tach should not be a problem. Alhough, these were my original questions. I am going to order the unit on Monday...as for the replacing the point system...not sure which ones are better...any ideas? I, too, am interested in the less muffled sound of an other than stock set up in air cleaners. Although, I am more interested in keeping bad stuff out of my engine. So, if the stock is the only system that is effective at that then there ya go.
    I know the MSD is separate from the coil. I have one set up in my Bug, but hehe... My '67S is a lot more precious (careful the Bug don't hear it...) and I don't want to drill unnecessary holes...

And since mine is a '67, I don't have a CD unit to begin with, hence my worry about the tacho.

I bought some water shields but haven't gotten around to installing them. But I think they should be good enough in most places save for the desert? Haha...

Sprint.

My CD box is installed on the firewall in the engine compartment, and did require drilling small mounting holes.

I used the MSD "Blaster" coil with it, which is recommended.

The Jacobs ignitor simply replaces the points, but did require slight modification of the distributor. No issues with the tach wiring, it's straight forward per the instructions with the MSD box, but I don't have the wiring diagram anymore.

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Read my surf novel!

Tom, what is the guage after your fuel pump? Some sort of flow meter? I have seen this on a few other carburated cars. Also, looking in my engine area next to the coil, there is a small capasitor or some other device that has a lead comming out connected to nothing. Here is a picture. What is it and where does it connect? To the coil? The item in question is the smaller cylandrical thing above the coil. Has one black lead.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Michael

Originally posted by mjmoran
    Tom, what is the guage after your fuel pump?
    Fuel pressure gauge. The Webers like 3-5 psi and that gauge is just a quick visual reference that there are no problems in the fuel delivery system to the carbs.

The item in question is the smaller cylandrical thing above the coil. Has one black lead.
    Looks like a condenser to me, usually used on the low voltage side of the ignition for the points spark- just not necessary with the CD box and optical trigger?

As far as the air filter goes, I have used the K&N filters with carbon fiber rainshields on my '73 with PMOs. They are fine if you keep them clean and oiled, but the factory filter does a fine job. Unless it is rusting in the baffle area and raining particles into the intake (which I have had happen with a '66 I owned) I would not replace it. There is a little more intake noise with the K&Ns.

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Read my surf novel!